62-year-old woman gives birth... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

62-year-old woman gives birth...

I'll bet some, if not most of you, have heard about this already but I didn't learn of it until I saw a photo display on My Yahoo! page this morning. Recently, a 62-year-old woman has given birth to her 12th baby. In addition, she has 20 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.

At the risk of setting off a heated discussion, what are your feelings about this? Personally, I have a huge objection to any woman at that age giving birth to her own child. It would be a different story if she were a surrogate, a 2nd uterus if you will, for a daughter or DIL but this is her own child. I think it's totally unfair to this child. She'll be 72 (if she's still alive by then) when this baby is 10 years old. What 72-year-old lady can keep up with a 10-year-old? For that matter, how can a 63-year-old lady keep up with a 1-year-old? Even if this woman were to live well into her 80s she's not going to be able to relate to this baby at all when questions of puberty, etc., come up. The poor child is going to feel so out of place once he/she realizes that his/her friends from school have parents of a more commonplace age. And talk about the mixed up feelings when he/she (I don't know if I read about the sex of the baby) wants to date? Would you feel comfortable bringing a date home to meet your 70-some year-old mother? Or talking about sex?

I'm guessing that if this lady were to have an untimely passing before the child is able to take care of him-/herself that one of the child's brothers or sisters (NOT aunts or uncles like I had before) will take it in, but still, this child is going to be in for a heck of a culture shock (maybe not the best words to describe it) in the years to come.

In addition, let me just say that I could sort of sympathize and be more willing to accept this if the woman were struggling for years and years to have a child and just now finally succeeded but she has a huge family already and even has great grandchildren.

EDITED to change 'aunts or uncles' to 'brothers or sisters'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Cat Addict

Where is this woman from?

Methinks there's some kind of "mad scientist" experimentation going on here. She couldn't conceive naturally, she has to be menopausal at that advanced age so I would have to guess the doctors used invitro fertilization. I can just imagine some sicko doctor saying......"Gee, I wonder if I can get a 62 yr. old lady to have a baby?".

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
Where is this woman from?
According to Yahoo!, she lives in Redding, CA. I've tried looking for an article to go along with the photo but to no avail. If anybody else can find a corresponding article, please post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Re: 62-year-old woman gives birth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
At the risk of setting off a heated discussion, what are your feelings about this? Personally, I have a huge objection to any woman at that age giving birth to her own child. It would be a different story if she were a surrogate, a 2nd uterus if you will, for a daughter or DIL but this is her own child. I think it's totally unfair to this child. She'll be 72 (if she's still alive by then) when this baby is 10 years old. What 72-year-old lady can keep up with a 10-year-old? For that matter, how can a 63-year-old lady keep up with a 1-year-old? Even if this woman were to live well into her 80s she's not going to be able to relate to this baby at all when questions of puberty, etc., come up. The poor child is going to feel so out of place once he/she realizes that his/her friends from school have parents of a more commonplace age. And talk about the mixed up feelings when he/she (I don't know if I read about the sex of the baby) wants to date? Would you feel comfortable bringing a date home to meet your 70-some year-old mother? Or talking about sex?
I completely agree with this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Cat Addict

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2006-02/21/content_522118.htm

Is this what you're looking for?
Yep, I guess that would be her. I don't mean to sound crass and judgmental about one's looks but, after seeing that picture, EWWWWW! She either looks like she's the victim of a car accident or something and requires some plastic surgery or she's already had plastic surgery and it's starting to give way. Of course, after reading the article, I've just now learned she has a 48-year-old husband too. I'd love to see what he looks like.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'll apologize in advance for the double post, but some other things just came to mind...

OK, she has a 48-year-old husband who is probably more than capable of raising a small child. They have another child together who is now 3½ and did not want that one to grow up alone.

Let me just say, I am still adamantly opposed to the fact that she is 62 and went through this but I am much more comfortable knowing this child has a father of 'reasonable' age. My husband and I are on somewhat of a similar plane in our relationship, only he's the older one; I'm 32 and he's 46 and our first children together (neither of us has any previous children) just turned a year old. Like these people feel, we don't necessarily want our twins to be 'the last' and would especially like for our son to have a brother and our daughter to have a sister, so we are going to try again when the twins are about 2. My husband will be 48 years old when our new baby would come along but, there again, I'm still only going to be in my mid 30s. For lack of a better way to describe it, I'll be a bit more spry than this Redding, CA, lady is.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sure they thought long and hard about having this child, but my gut reaction is that this was utterly selfish. The child is going to have it rough growing up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Cool Cat

I read that she has been blind since birth, so that may partly account for her odd appearance. "Wulf is used to defying the odds. Blind since birth, she was a synchronized swimmer in high school, worked as a piano and organ saleswoman and developed a passion for cooking."
I personally don't think it's fair for this child, especially since she already has had so many other children.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlanon
I read that she has been blind since birth, so that may partly account for her odd appearance.
*Excuse me as I scold myself for that terrible comment I made earlier. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page