Pneumonia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Pneumonia

Has anyone on here ever had Pneumonia? I have had this upper respiratory wheezing, coughing thing going on for a few months along with intermittent cold symptoms etc. Of course I keep thinking it may be my allergies to the cats, or environmental from working in a new building with 200 thousands square feet of furnitire, new paint, building materials, etc, as well as me doing my own renovations at home............and working 50 hours a week. I have been wheezing lately and coughing up junk and my back hurts. I had been to the doctors a few times and was told that this is all part of a flu going around and how it takes a few months for it to go away. I am really feeling lousy today but no fever which is usually present with Pneumonia. Any thoughts? I am bummed because I am giving my husband a surprise party this afternoon. (See new post!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, you sound like you have been miserable for a while. I would definately get in to be seen by a doctor soon. Anytime someone has been coughing and bringing up junky phlegm for that long, they need to be evaluated. Certainly good that you don't have a fever, but something is going on. I had pneumonia a few years ago, I had been stressed with both home and work stuff and wore myself down. I had what I thought was a cold for a while and figured it would go away. I didn't run a fever until I was pretty sick.
Please go to the doctor, pneumonia, bronchitis, allergies, whatever...you need to get to feeling better.
Take care of yourself! Hope you feel better soon.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 AM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Nope. Never had that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Premier Cat

I think if it has been going on for this long and it was pnuemonia you would have found out by now.
We have a child at school who is off with it. He went home ill and 2 days later he was rushing into hospital by his GP.
At one point his mum told us she thought he was going to die. He dropped right down to 3stone (9 year old boy)

What ever it is, it isnt right to be going on like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
*Raises hand.

I just got over pneumonia. I'd been sick since September, and I had been coughing and wheezing. I was finally given a prescription for Prednisone. I should've gotten that in the beginning. I can now breathe deeply again without feeling like there's an elephant sitting on my chest. If I were you, after the surprise party is over, I'd go to the doctor and ask them to do a chest x-ray. If you do have pneumonia, it'll show up on the x-ray and then can be treated correctly.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

----------
Renée
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to TxnKats Send a message via MSN to TxnKats
I've had pneumonia several times over the years. Each time I had to be hospitalized.

I can't say if you have it or not cause every time I had it I couldn't get out of bed, but I also have asthma which intensifies any cold, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc. If I were you I'd go back to the doctor...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Cool Cat

I don't get colds, I get bronchitis. I will get a sore throat and head congestion and literally within 24 hours it turns to severe bronchitis. I can actually handle it better once it goes into my chest than when it is in my head - altho a few times I have had both at once and that is just miserable!

I have had bronchial pneumonia once and it is NOT happiness! The symptons of pneumonia are usally a high fever, headache, muscle aches, exhaustion, shortness of breath, coughing up sputum, sometimes chest pain (I had pleurisy once - OMG! talk about PAIN!!)

It can be diagnosed with a chest xray. But the doctor can listen to your lungs with a stethoscope and can hear rales if you have pneumonia as well.

I would go after the party and get it checked out. Could be allergies or asthma too. They can give you something to help you breathe easier and hopefully find the cause. Good luck!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to TxnKats Send a message via MSN to TxnKats
I'm like you Cat Whisperer, I don't get colds I get bronchitis (or pneumonia). I'm trying to get over Bronchitis now. I had a sore throat last Tuesday, but later that night I was in bed coughing my head off and it turned into Bronchitis..so much fun (not).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I had. I felt like dying. It wasn't fun.

Conventional medicine only made it worse until I started wheezing blood. The only thing that worked was NIN JIOM PEI PA KOA.

http://www.asiachi.com/ninjiompeipa.html

It tasted good, too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well that's exactly what I have, PNEUMONIA! He says it's A Typical and like walking Pneumonia. So I am on a Z Pack and lots of rest for a few days. geesh..........I knew something was wrong! thanks for all your help and convincing me to go to the doctors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page