Mr. Bush's Road Trip - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mr. Bush's Road Trip

This article just confirms what I was already thinking.

Editorial

Mr. Bush's Asian Road Trip
Published: March 7, 2006

There is a lot of good a president can do on a visit to another country: .............Unfortunately, President Bush didn't do any of those good things on his just-completed visit to Pakistan and India and may have done some real harm.

The spectacularly misconceived trip may have inflicted serious damage to American goals...............

The nuclear deal that Mr. Bush concluded with India threatens to blast a bomb-size loophole through the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. It would have been bad enough on its own, and disastrously ill timed, because it undercuts some of the most powerful arguments Washington can make to try to galvanize international opposition to Iran's nuclear adventurism.

But the most immediate damage was done on Mr. Bush's next stop, Pakistan. Washington is trying to persuade Gen. Pervez Musharraf, the Pakistani military dictator, to defy nationalist and Islamic objections and move more aggressively against Pakistani-based terrorists.

But sticking Mr. Musharraf with the unwelcome task of explaining to Pakistanis why his friend and ally, Mr. Bush, had granted favorable nuclear terms to Pakistan's archrival, India, while withholding them from Pakistan...................

It's just baffling why Mr. Bush traveled halfway around the world to stand right next to one of his most important allies against terrorists — and embarrass him. India and Pakistan are military rivals that have fought each other repeatedly. They have both developed nuclear weapons outside the nonproliferation treaty, which both refuse to sign. When India exploded its first acknowledged nuclear weapons eight years ago, Pakistan felt obliged to follow suit within weeks.

So when Mr. Bush agreed to carve out an exception to global nonproliferation rules for India, it should have been obvious that Pakistani opinion would demand the same privileged treatment, and that Mr. Musharraf would be embarrassed by Mr. Bush's explicit refusal to provide it.

Mr. Bush was right to say no to Pakistan. It would be an unthinkably bad idea to grant a loophole to a country whose top nuclear scientist helped transfer nuclear technology to leading rogue states. Granting India a loophole that damages a vital treaty and lets New Delhi accelerate production of nuclear bombs makes no sense either.

Mr. Bush should have just stayed home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/07/opini ... ?th&emc=th

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The man was there to have fun, observe the culture, form a bridge of goodwill among the two peoples......basically do all the symbolic things you would expect from the leader of the free world.

Seriously, I am glad that Bush is relatively healthy. He takes himself not as seriously as most other presidents. How many presidents do we know that died as soon as their term is over???

If Bush does EVERYTHING he set out to accomplish, he would have a heart attack and Cheney would become president, and then Cheney would probably have a heart attack also and we'll be left without leaders

Do you even know how abhorrent the weather conditions are there now and how tiresome the helicopter rides can be? I come from a family of commanders in the Taiwanese Nationalist Army. The Taiwanese people use American helicopters. Those things are NOT fun to ride on. They drench you with transmission oil and pelt you with tiny rocks (both of those things happened to Bush's top aides as they arrived in India)

And there are mosquitoes....DEFINITELY not fun. Asian mosquitoes are world reknown for their bloodthirstyness. I am actually quite surprised Bush hadn't gotten sick yet. Most Americans succumb to diarrhea in India within a week.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to spamlet
Pookie, duck, quick, before you get lynched!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Pookie, duck, quick, before you get lynched!
Unless Bush and Cheney went hunting! OMG, that was funny!

**Your Portion Of Light**

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

[quote="shengmei"]The man was there to have fun, observe the culture, form a bridge of goodwill among the two peoples......basically do all the symbolic things you would expect from the leader of the free world.

[i]I don't think it was a "fun" trip, he could care less about other cultures, and he blew-up the goodwill bridge![/i]

Seriously, I am glad that Bush is relatively healthy. He takes himself not as seriously as most other presidents. How many presidents do we know that died as soon as their term is over???

[i]I can't honestly think of any besides Lyndon Johnson, can you?[/i]

If Bush does EVERYTHING he set out to accomplish, he would have a heart attack and Cheney would become president, and then Cheney would probably have a heart attack also and we'll be left without leaders

What exactly has he accomplished thus far.........besides making corporations & the rich even richer still?

Do you even know how abhorrent the weather conditions are there now and how tiresome the helicopter rides can be? I come from a family of commanders in the Taiwanese Nationalist Army. The Taiwanese people use American helicopters. Those things are NOT fun to ride on. They drench you with transmission oil and pelt you with tiny rocks (both of those things happened to Bush's top aides as they arrived in India)

And there are mosquitoes....DEFINITELY not fun. Asian mosquitoes are world reknown for their bloodthirstyness. I am actually quite surprised Bush hadn't gotten sick yet. Most Americans succumb to diarrhea in India within a week.

Hmmm..........heart attacks, helicopter rides, mosquitoes, diarrhea. Sheng, ya gotta try & stay on topic![/quote]

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

TOPIC? WHAT TOPIC?

The topic had been severely diminished since there were more than two dozen anti-Bush threads in the last quarter of the year in this lounge of this cat forum,

There was no longer a meaningful topic here. No such thing exists.

Is liberalism a prequisite to cat ownership? The other cat forums I regularly visit are also largely liberal. I have made recommendations to the sociology department in Texas A&M to research into the correlation of liberalism and cat ownership.

It is very unlikely that anybody's mind would be changed by those threads since this is a cat forum, and cat lovers such as me are not known as experts in societal policy matters.

Did anybody even notice that all MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) must be replaced by ethanol as gas additives by the end of March? It was THE BIGGEST environmental issue in the 90s. Now we finally pass the law, and nobody cares. So much for Bush having no accomplishments.....why would we care?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
The man was there to have fun, observe the culture, form a bridge of goodwill among the two peoples......basically do all the symbolic things you would expect from the leader of the free world.

This whole response was hilarious. I mean, what did it mean?

Bush was not there for a goodwill trip. He had an agenda. India is poised, along with China, to be the next great superpower. We need India; India wooed the world at the last UN conference that just adjourned. Bush is not stupid; he went there to be first in line to reap the benefits of India. For further information on this topic, please read the following, fascinating article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11571348/site/newsweek/

As for taking credit on the other: if this has been worked on since the 1990's, as you proffer yourself, then surely Bush is not the person responsible since his administration didn't come into place until 2001.

You say revolution, I say jah. --O.A.R.

Dell and the two cats, Isabella and Hermione plus 5 amazing dogs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

He could have vetoed the anti-MTBE legislation...but he didn't. He had the power to but he didn't.

The legislation is supposed to cost the oil industry billions and billions of dollars. It is rumored to take at least 25% of all profits during the 2006-2007 fiscal year, but nobody really knows for sure. The ethanol have to be shipped by train. Additional storage facilities must be constructed. The ethanol must be brought from Brazil. Additional railroads must be built and trains must be equipped with special antiexplosion anticorrosive pressurized tanks. Refineries need to be completely overhauled as ethanol is extremely explosive.

He had the power to veto this particular legislation, but he didn't. If he did veto the legislation it wouldn't even be that big a deal because nobody seemed to care. He could easily have vetoed the legislation, especially since NOBODY cares about it right now. ....so he can't be that friendly with the Big Oil.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Cat

that has nothing to do with his trip to India and Pakistan.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

India is also one of the major ethanol-producing countries. This news articile was just published six hours ago. President Bush was partially responsible for this as he discussed (via Rice) the bio-ethanol alliance between India and the free world.

Praj Industries and Aker Kvaerner forge a bio-ethanol alliance in Europe

7 March 2006 - Praj Industries Limited (Praj), global leader in bio-ethanol technology has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Aker Kvaerner for strategic cooperation on bio-ethanol projects in Europe. The use of this renewable fuel, derived from plants or biomass, provides a significant reduction in overall CO² emissions compared to a traditional petrol only engine.

The European Union (EU) Bio-Fuels Directive has set a target of 5.75 per cent energy content inclusion of bio-fuels in the transportation fuel mix by 2010. Many EU countries are fast developing a fuel ethanol programme. France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and others have announced either a policy or a grant for promotion of fuel ethanol.

In their new cooperation, Aker Kvaerner and Praj will unite their respective expertise to jointly pursue business opportunities. Praj will supply the process licence, process engineering, and critical and proprietary equipment for the process plant, while Aker Kvaerner’s European Process business will provide basic engineering, procurement and construction expertise.

"As the demand for fuel ethanol grows, technology for production of bio-ethanol becomes more critical. We are therefore delighted to be cooperating with Praj in Europe. We see this as a synergistic alliance which will offer value to European customers in this important and expanding market segment," said Ronald van der Vlist, Director of Business Development and Technology, with Aker Kvaerner’s European Process business.

Praj, based in Pune, specializes in technology, design, engineering, manufacture and supply of equipment for distillery plants, ethanol plants, brewery plants and related effluent treatment plants and is the owner of information related to various processes for the same.

"Praj has found acceptance for its technology in global markets. This alliance will further position Praj very favourably in Europe, as Aker Kvaerner is well respected for its engineering, procurement and construction capability worldwide," said Pramod Chaudhari, Chairman, Praj Industries Limited.

Praj also has plans to set up an operating base in the EU shortly to augment its marketing efforts.

As bio-ethanol is a renewable fuel derived from plants (such as cereals, sugar beet etc.) or biomass (such as wood waste), the primary environmental benefit is the reduction of CO² emissions. The use of bio-ethanol can lead to up to a 70 per cent reduction in overall CO² emissions compared to a traditional petrol only engine. Bio-ethanol used as part of the fuel, by blending with petrol, for a motor vehicle is called fuel-ethanol. Bio-ethanol can be blended in various proportions in petrol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page