Anyone out there who speaks French? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Anyone out there who speaks French?

I need some help with a translation. I am looking for the command form of "live, laugh, love." Free translations online stink -- I'm looking for someone who knows the language. Not an "I" form or a "you" form or even "they" or "we." I'm looking for the command conjugation. Thank you so much to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Cat Addict

Bah. We just learned imperetives a few weeks ago, but a couple of those are irregular verbs. I'm not that good yet. I'm sorry!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Bah. We just learned imperetives a few weeks ago, but a couple of those are irregular verbs. I'm not that good yet. I'm sorry!
OOoooh but could you email your professor? Pretty please? *knows absolutely no French*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I could call my dad... as french is his first language, but he tends to have HORRIBLE grammer and uses a LOT of slang, which means you'd probably get a more accurate answer from the online translator.

I actually caught him saying "movez le char" once... I knew what he meant, but HONESTLY! (He was telling my step-mom to move the car...) That one phrase has kinda made his "french" a family joke.

Good luck though

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, if you happen to call him anyway it wouldn't hurt to try...I'd be interested to see what he had to say.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Cat Addict

What are the circumstances that you are planning to use this? It can make a difference in the way you address yourself. French people are overly polite and they often use the plural form, that is non-existent in the English language as the same form (you'd have to translate by emphasizing it differently)

The Imperative mode of the verbs Vivre, Rire, and Aimer are:

-singular ("tu"=you) - "Vis, ris, aimes!"
-plural ("vous"=you -y'all : )) - " Vivez, riez, aimez!"

You might also be able to use different variations such as the "IL FAUT QUE" structure used to introduce the Subjunctive Mode

-sg. - "Il faut que tu vives, ries, aimes."
-pl. - "Il faut que vous vivies, riiez, aimez."

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oh ioana you are a life saver! I want to use it because I am helping my sister decorate her house. She is decorating her kitchen in a french theme and her foyer in a Tuscan one. So in her kitchen she wanted me to do some calligraphy on one of the walls that said something nice in French that would say something about her home and family, and be welcoming to guests. Does that help? Maybe the vous form? I'm not sure when the last one you mentioned would be appropriate, so just let me know.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Cat Addict

Ioana, you rule.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, gosh, you guys, you make me blush,
You are too kind, aphrodeia.
You are more than welcome. It's been a while since I 've had to use French so I enjoy the challenege.
The explanation helps tremendously. I love the idea of decorating in French + Tuscan manner and adding these accents.
You are correct, the last form is a bit too strong.
Right now,

" Vivez, riez, aimez!"

sounds best.

But let me know what the deadline is, I am going to pick my brain and see if I can come up with something else.

The idea of "stomachi affamati" from the "Italian post" is so funny.

By the way, you could use
"Vivez bien, riez souvent, aimez beaucoup "
that is used in wise decor
It traslates to: "live well, laugh often, love much"

Again, the more ideas you give me about what you want, the more inspired I am, or anyone else attempting to translate for that matter.

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Seriously, you have warmed my heart. I can't really describe how much this means to me in words, but my eyes are welled up with tears right now. I'll give her the idea that you had -- I personally like it better. We just want something that when people as "what does that mean?" we will feel like we are describing our well-wishes for anyone that enters the home. The "hungry stomachs" was my idea, since my sister loves to cook and is a wonderful hostess. She loves having guests and making them feel at home.

The deadline is tomorrow, Sunday...as she will be back from a trip and we are planning on decorating the foyer and finishing up the kitchen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page