Need Help with Italian - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Need Help with Italian

I remember some of what I learned in Italian, but I want to know about a rule. I know how to say "welcome friends" and "welcome family," but when putting more than one item in a sentence such as "friends and family," do you conjugate the verb welcome to match the first word or to just mean "many?" My head's starting to hurt and I sold my old Italian book which I'm kicking myself for now.

Anyway -- here is my attempt. I'd love to know if it's right!

benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
amici e famiglia benvenuti
That's what Babelfish gave me when I put in "welcome friends and family".

Quote:
welcomes friends, family, and stomachi starve to you
But this is what Babelfish gives me when I tried it to translate "benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati". I got a nice chuckle out of that!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

LOL! Yes -- it's funny. Sometimes I try to put the same words that it translates for me BACK into the translator, and it comes up with something totally different than what I started with. That's why I'd really like to know what someone who knows the language has to say. Thanks though -- your translation seems much more correct than my guess.

So maybe it should be

"amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati benvenuti"

...it's just that then I'm afraid that says "friends, family, and welcome hungry stomachs." That's where it would be really helpful to know what that rule is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Cat Addict

"benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati"
Sounds good to me to make the subject agreement as it is above.

That was funny-"stomachi, starve to you" haha

By the way, are you planning a trip around the world,For Jazz? The French post, now this, what is next , German? ..I know only a few words and catch phrases there. I just hope you won't go to Thailand, I can't be of any help in that respect

Oh, and speaking of Italian, I have to brag again, how I fell in love with this language. I was more into the anglo-saxon type of languages and refused to learn one bit of Italian; it came more naturally to me(being Romanian),but I was more stubborn than anything , I guess.
All of that ended when I saw " La Vita E Bella" ("Life is Beautiful"), one of the best movies to me. I could eat that little boy in the movie.
I can tell you entire lines in Italian from the movie. It is very endearing..

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

ioana, thank you so much. Really -- it means a lot to me. I started explaining in my other post, but I'll expand in this one. I've been helping my sister diligently with her new house because I want to leave her with a huge gift. She moved to Madison about a year ago because her husband got a better job here that would allow her to stay home with her children. She left a city, a neighborhood, a circle of friends, and much much more behind when she left the Twin Cities. She had her perfect life there, and for a while, being near me after moving was the only upside for her. She worked her butt off to make good friends here and rebuild what she had, and I think she's getting there. They bought a gorgeous home for themselves here, but it is a project as it is very plain right now. She's in the process of re-doing all of it so that she feels like she is at home. She's working her butt off and I really want to help her get to a place where she feels happy and comfortable, because I will be leaving the state sometime this year to go be with Brandon. Right now his job has him traveling, so we are apart, but they want to give him a permanent location at an undetermined time in the future. So...this not only makes me sad because I will be leaving the city that *I* love...but my sister is pretty sad about it since this past year has been the only time we've lived close to each other since she went away to college. I love her and her family dearly, so I want nothing more than to help her feel at home here before I leave.

I know some Italian as I took it for my second language in college. I too loved the language -- possibly more than Spanish, which I took for 5 years. I should have continued it but I had other priorities in school, but maybe someday I'll pick it back up again. It did come easily to me, but I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to paint something permanent on my sister's wall.

So...I'm helping her paint and create art for her walls. But to me it's a lot more than that. So thank you so much for your help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Cat Addict

And I really am happy to help, Julie
It is going to be hard to separate from your sister as the prospects show now, but who knows what future holds? I am glad that you have at least been there for her when it seemed like it was the hardest.
I have never taken Italian - so all the Italian I know is from reading Italian magazines growing up, and watching Italian movies & It. TV.
It comes naturally to Romanians because 60% of our vocabulary is of Latin origin.
I am saying this because I am not sure about the punctuation in this phrase, if there's a comma after "famiglia" as well.
It wouldn't hurt to snoop around some more just to make sure of it.
I know you are looking forward to finalizing this project.
It really sounds great. I love the idea of putting these European like accents in a home. It brings a lot of warmth to a household.

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page