Favorite Childhood Toy of All-Time - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Favorite Childhood Toy of All-Time

OK...I'm a person who loves a good countdown TV special. I was channel surfing today and stumbled upon VH1's Top 100 Toys of all time. Wow ~ what fun it was to reminesce about childhood memories with my husband about the toys of our days. I have to admit, though, that I was kind of shocked at the #1 choice and I would love to know just who cast the votes to come up with this one - THE HULA HOOP! Huh?!?!? I guess I can think of dozens of other toys that were/are way cooler than the hula hoop but maybe that's just me. I guess if they were striving for nostalgia by picking that one then they succeeded. My mom grew up in the 50s and said all the girls had one. I guess my mom was a pro at hula hooping.

Personally, I think my favorite toy of all time would either have to be Legos or the Lite-Brite. Once I slipped into adolescence there was the Nintendo. I was addicted to Super Mario Bros. 3!

There was one toy that I saw on the list that I asked for for a few Christmases in a row and never did get one - an Easy Bake Oven. I know, it's just a light bulb in a box but, hey, they looked cool nonetheless. Still, to this day, I tease my mom about not getting that oven and it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up with one as a gag gift someday! I'm definitely getting my little girl one when she's older.

So I'm curious, what were some of your favorite toys from childhood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Senior Cat

I'm a MLP girl all the way, CareBears as well, both were up there in the 70s and 80s.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I still have my care bear I still sleep with it and everything!

I used to love playing with my brother's old metal toy cars and when I was REALLY young I had wooden bricks I liked to play with. Lego is ace, I played with that a lot even with my niece and nephew when they were younger.

I also remember having a lil kids train set. Nothing special, but I loved it! I was such a tom boy as a child
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

I was watching that, too!

Too many to name...they got a lot of them on that countdown. I always get happy feelings when I see the My Little Ponies.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Cat Addict

Before Leggos (yes, I'm old), there were Tinker Toys. And of course, my battery powered robot from "Lost in Space".
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Cat Addict

Definitly too many to name. That count down was pretty cool though!! I can't beleive crayons weren't in the top ten though. Everyone loves crayons!

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
Definitly too many to name. That count down was pretty cool though!! I can't beleive crayons weren't in the top ten though. Everyone loves crayons!
Remember the crayon suitcase?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePageKY
Before Leggos (yes, I'm old), there were Tinker Toys. And of course, my battery powered robot from "Lost in Space".
Oh yeah...how could I forget! I jokingly refer to Tinker Toys as a poor kid's Lincoln Logs (of which I didn't have any). I used to love Tinker Toys!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Cool Cat

I'd have to say Care Bears...I loved them. My mom has pics of me and all my friends watching the Care Bear movie when I turned either 5 or 6. I had several but there were some that I always wanted but didn't have....I love the Care Bear cousins also. They're making a come back now also!
I also liked my Lite Bright, Lincoln logs, magna doodle....all these toys have stood the test time and you can still buy them.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Tom Cat

Easybake Oven. It used the heat from light bulbs to cook and bake. Very wonderful.

Spirograph. A boxful of geared rings and wheels that created gorgeous patterns from colored pencils or ballpoint pens.

Chatty Cathy. The original talking doll. (Yes, I'm old.)

Barbie. Mine had this really cool early-1960's poneytail. (Ditto on the comment about being old.)

Knit-o-Matic. A knitting machine that actually worked well and made stuff.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page