Do you get any daily e-mail subscriptions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Do you get any daily e-mail subscriptions?

I was just going through my inbox and cleaning some things out, realizing that there were a lot of subscriptions I was getting on a daily basis that are no longer necessary.

My husband and I used to head up the daily maintenance of our church's website but since our kids were born we gave that up to someone else. During our couple of years on that project, I was in charge of adding daily scripture quotes, along with a lot of other things, to the web in HTML format. I got approximately 15 church-related free e-mails a day! On top of that, I was subscribing to a joke-of-the-day, a cat-story-a-day type email, a Chicken-Soup-For-The-Soul story a day, and 3 different word-a-day subscriptions for my own personal use.

I have since dropped each and every one of those subscriptions except for the word-a-day ones. I have this weird thing ~ I don't even like (nor do I have time) to read novels but I love learning new words. I started this word-a-day thing about 6 or 7 years ago and, thousands of e-mails later, it still continues. I even went so far as to create a Microsoft Word file and created my own dictionary out of the deal, that used to be over 300 pages long but after some chopping of unnecessary material and font resizing it is currently at a little over 200 pages. I still have over 1500 word-a-day emails in my Inbox that need to be pasted into my Microsoft Word document. I used to be so good at keeping up with it every day and then I became a mother! That job keeps me away from a few things I used to do on a routine basis.

Anyway, I just got to wondering if anyone else out there subscribes to any daily e-mail listings and if you save the info or throw them out after reading them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Cat Addict

I subscribe to 2 newspapers: New York Times & Washington Post. I will occasionally save articles and perhaps forward them on to certain people.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Cool Cat

Email lists, yes.. daily ones? No. I have done that before - Bible scripture of the day, etc.... But I never have time to read them and I get overwhelmed seeing them sit there unread so I stopped them.

It's all I can do to keep up with my regular email!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Cat

They all go into my Noton Anti Spam folger automatically now. I used to get a lot when I was home but no time now! And no I didn't save hardly any! Just deleted most of them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Cat

I do the word a day thing

You say revolution, I say jah. --O.A.R.

Dell and the two cats, Isabella and Hermione plus 5 amazing dogs
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

I belong to a few email lists, one on Minnesota gardening, one with recipes and one about the Minnesota Vikings. I get them all in a daily digest, as opposed to individual emails. I read them if I have time, but if I don't it's not a big deal to me. I have never actively posted on any of them, I much prefer forums for that sort of thing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
I have since dropped each and every one of those subscriptions except for the word-a-day ones. I have this weird thing ~ I don't even like (nor do I have time) to read novels but I love learning new words. I started this word-a-day thing about 6 or 7 years ago and, thousands of e-mails later, it still continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmenagerie
I do the word a day thing

Just curious, which word a day sites do you ladies like?

I am studying linguistics and just finished a unit on orthography where I learned about a bunch of sites that have word of the day as well as word histories, origins, games, etc. One that I looked at has a list of endangered languages which is positively fascinating! It's www.yourdictionary.com. Cool stuff.

I used to get daily e-mail from flylady.com, but I realized that I'm not ready for such an intense commitment (at least to cleaning my house).

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oh my gosh, Lisa! If you like to learn origins of words, etc., then the word-a-day sites I subscribe to would be your thing. I'm not a linguistics major or anything but I used to really get into learning all the different aspects of word building, etc., and I used to save all those different parts of info on the e-mails. I don't really have time for it anymore so now I just save the part that actually defines the word and shows its pronunciation.

At any rate, here's the subscribing info for all mine ~

http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html Wordsmith (I think you'd really like this one. There's a link to click and hear pronunciation, a weekly wrap-up game that quizzes you on the words for that week, etc.)
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online
http://af3.gophercentral.com/sub/sub-word.html

Each and every one of the above sites talks a little bit about the origin of the word and the word is usually used in an example sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms given on some.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Cool Cat

I get a bi-weekly email from a nursery. I dream maybe one day I'll have a fantastic garden.

Shari
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
At any rate, here's the subscribing info for all mine ~

http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html Wordsmith (I think you'd really like this one. There's a link to click and hear pronunciation, a weekly wrap-up game that quizzes you on the words for that week, etc.)
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online
http://af3.gophercentral.com/sub/sub-word.html

Each and every one of the above sites talks a little bit about the origin of the word and the word is usually used in an example sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms given on some.
Thanks, Jo! I know the first two but haven't heard of the gophercentral site before. I'll have to check that one out.

Since starting my linguistics coursework, I realized that I have always been a "word wonk" though more of a latent one until now. I love words and have been having a ball reading about them and investigating these cool sites. And now I am in a class full of people like me who love language!

Once I am teaching, I am going to use word a day to create lessons for my ESL students.

You should definitely check out yourdictionary.com. That one is my favorite so far. I'd be glad to share the names of other sites if you're interested. It's a good intellectual break from Barney! This stuff would have been great for me when my two were little.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page