Cancun - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cancun

My fiance and I are going to Cancun for our honeymoon in June and will be gone for seven days. We are trying to figure out a tentative itenerary and things that we would like to do while there. Have any of you been to Cancun, and what do you recommend we do/bring/avoid, etc??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:50 AM

I had a few friends who went there a few weeks ago. They tried to get a refund or transfer their trip but it wasn't possible, so they ended up going. All of the beaches were still closed, and Senor Frog's wasn't even open. They basically just sat around the hotel and did some touristy things...but the reason they booked the trip (obviously before the hurricanes) was because of the beaches and the liveliness. I sincerely hope things are better by June for you, because that is what you want to be there for.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:14 PM

A few years ago, I went to the Maya Riviera-about 2hrs south of Cancun. Not sure what condition it will be in after the storms, but Sian Kaan (sp?) was ABSOLUTELY amazing! It's a big biopreserve. We did a tour through it with an adventure guide group. The picked us up at the resort with a bunch of jeeps-each group got to drive their own jeep. You go through the jungle, then out on the ocean and check out the mangroves. They took us snokeling. Then to Punta Allen, which is a little fishing village where they had lunch waiting for us. We also stopped somewhere with brackish water to go swimming-that's a mix of fresh and salt water. That was SO much fun. It was an all day evernt. I don't remember which company we went through, something like "Adventure tours?". The guides were amazing. They were fluent in several languages, so they broke everyone up by language. They were extremely knowledgable about everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:53 PM

that sounds amazing, jennifer -- something like my dream vacation. Too bad the storms destroyed so much beautiful land.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Can you call the hotel you are staying at and see if they have any recommendations in terms of what to book? Or call the local travel bureau? I often look at lonelyplanet.com to help me decide what places to see since many locals visit those boards and can give you good idea of waht is still up and running.

I was in Cancun last year when our plane to Belize was diverted there. I don't remember being awed by all of the touristy stuff, but, rather, the beauty of the land. So I think you will be just fine

What Jennifer described sounds gorgeous!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmenagerie
I don't remember being awed by all of the touristy stuff, but, rather, the beauty of the land.
Exactly, which is why my friends had a less than stellar time. The land is what was wrecked or inaccessible. The beaches are unsafe right now, so I hope they are fixed by the time she goes on her honeymoon.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 PM

I wonder if the hotel is all-inclusive. The hotel we stayed at had everything we could have imagined, including three pools, restaurants, bars, and a walk out to the beach. Even if public beaches are inaccessible I wonder if hotels have been able to clean up their portions of the land. I think a phone call or email to the place where you are staying could really help since we are all just guessing what the current state of the beaches are.

I HATE that your friends had such a bad time on their vacation What a disappointment!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Anything with a beach is wonderful enough for me So many people told me not to take my fiance to Galveston as his first beach experience. We went anyway.....the water was stinky, there was red spikey algae everywhere.............

But we still has a wonderful time (except my fiance dropped his cell phone in the ocean). Even with that happening, we still has a very good time.

I think as long as there is a beach with lots of fun people, the trip would be fun.

Congrats about the wedding!!!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes, our hotel is all inclusive (yay!!! Free drinks!!) ; we're staying at the Riu Cancun. Apparently our beach is ok, they were reopened a week after the hurricane. I've only heard great things about that resort. We were thinking about doing the Xel-ha or Xcaret tour, and maybe horseback riding on the beach. We will have a couple of days of "planned" activities and then the rest of the time just lounging and wandering around Cancun. We'd also like to go to Isla Mujeres too.

We talked to our travel agent and she said to hold off on scheduling anything concrete right now because we are traveling through Apple and they will have a representative meet us at the airport, take us to the hotel and then have an orientation when they will give us good deals on some of the tours. I just want an idea of what everyone recommends BEFORE we leave and have no contact with the "real world"

Thanks for the advice!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
For the free drinks.....do they have green tea???

If they do, I might book the same hotel for my honeymoon.

Tell me how it goes. Cancun is actually one of the spots we considered for our honeymoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page