Anyone get bad migraines? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Jon

Anyone get bad migraines?

I got them passed down from my mother. When I was younger, all the way back during 3-6th grade, I would have the worst migraines that would almost have me pass out.

I took a lot of medicine for it, never helped. But anyways, now when I get headachs, they are always border line on the migraine side, and I have gotten used to them throughout the years but so has my body with the medicine. I can't really take advil or anything like that anymore, its just candy now.

I moved up to Excedrin Migraine, which states "do not take more then 2 for up to 24 hours"...
I laugh at that, because 2 does not do anything. After 6 hours, and I take 3-4 I am feeling somewhat better. Only reason I do that though is because the medicine I took back in the day from the doctor was presc. and a lot stronger.

But anyways, what do you all take and that works for you? I am deff open to suggestions, since it seems that the Excedrin is now starting not to work..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 AM

I get migraines, but I seem to get them in clusters. I won't have migraines for a while, then I will get 1 every week for about a month. I don't know what triggers these migraines, but I do know that if I don't eat when I'm hungry, I get a migraine. I think it has something to do with my sugar levels.

As for treatment, the only thing that's worked for me is SLEEP! I take excederin migraine--it does nothing (surprise, surprise). It hasn't gotten to a point where I think I need prescription meds, but sometimes I wonder if I should see a doctor or not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Excedrine migraine doesn't work for me at all.

If I can tell one is coming on I take a Fioricet which is supposed to abort the headache. If I don't catch it in time I take an Imitrex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 AM

If you have health insurance, please go to a general practitioner and then a neurologist if your gp doesn't help you.

Migraines can be treated. Overuse of products like Excedrin will do damage to your body.

I have been on meds for migraines for a long time and can assure you that getting help is a huge relief!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Premier Cat

I agree, see a doctor. You shouldn't be taking that much of any over-the-counter meds without a doctor's advice. There are prescriptions that can help and are safer.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Tom Cat

I used to have debilitating migraines regularly while I was in Junior High - the kind that makes you want to die... They put me on Amitriptyline 50 mg every night to control them. The result - the only migraines that I've had since (8 years later) are when I tried (with physician assistance) to wean myself off the medication (twice). I guess I'm addicted If you can avoid drug therapy, please do! I wish that I wasn't dependent on them, but they are pretty cheap so they don't break my budget. They do work though!

The worst thing wastrying to explain why I was on an antidepressant at 13
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your issues with your meds. And while I agree that going on medication should be a last result, people should not be forced into non-functioning states either when there are non-addictive meds out there to ameliorate the problem. For instance, Midrin, the medication I am on, is non-addictive.

A GP can also help pinpoint if there are triggers to the migraines and how to avoid them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Jon

Well the thing is I don't have insurance, so a doctor visit is out of the question. I prob get a headach atleast once a week, and it also depends on my diet. Its just that when I do get a headach, its like a storm coming in and I have to prepare for the worst.
I will take one Excedrin Migraine pills and at times, thats it. But when I get the bad, bad ones - I am in bed. Thankgod I had not got those for years, but I still do get some pretty knocker ones.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Ok, do you get headaches or migraines? THere is a big difference between the two

There are some great resources on the internet that can help you decipher which ones you are getting and then help you determine the best course of action since you don't have insurance.

PLEASE don't overmedicate if you are having headaches. While painful, you are setting yourself up for rebound headaches which will only continue the cycle. You might need to wean yourself off of the OTC stuff you've been using and just grit through the headaches for several days. It won't be fun, but your body will thank you for it.

Also, you don't want to take migraine caliber OTC medication for a "regular" headache.

You said that food was a trigger so how about doing a food diary to help you figure out if there is a food in particular that is instigating migraines for you?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
I've had miegrains since i can remeber I get them REALY bad and they last for atleast 5 hours and i usualy lose my vision before getting a miegrain. Pain tablets dont work for me atall and ive been to many doctors and theyv've all said 'ah its just hormones, try something stronger' (It suks being a teen coz if theres something wrong with you people imediately think hormones) Atm im on these herbal tablet things called Miegracaps (they smell exactly like cat nip lol) ive been taking them since January and havent had a miegrain since which is fantastic. I wont be entirely certain if it does work till itz its been a year or something and still havent gotten a miegrain, im crossing my fingers but only time will tell. So yea its worth a try getting some of those tablets, because they're herbal you dont have to worry about takeing them with any other medication (although i dont think you can take them if you take blood pressure tablets)

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page