Police response to shooting death of their own - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Police response to shooting death of their own

We had a Sheriff's Deputy shot and killed Early Wednesday am. In what seemed a routine traffic stop, the deputy was shot and killed. The guy they believe is responsible was wanted on murder charges from November.
Now there is a huge manhunt trying to find the guy. His pic is always on TV. Flyer's up everywhere. More police out and about than I remember seeing since I've lived here. America's Most Wanted is supposed to be featuring him tonight.

Obviously, it's been the subject of the local radio talk shows also. I was a little shocked to hear a few callers (the minority) outraged at the police response. Things like why are they putting this much effort into finding him now that it's a cop that was shot? Why didn't they put this much effort into finding him the first time he was wanted?

I believe the first guy he is accused of killing was a rival gang member. I know this may be cold and cynical to some, but that doesn't seem quite the same to me.
SO, yeah, I think someone that is willing to shoot a police officer is much more dangerous to the general population!

Then on top of this, there was just a blurb on the morning news that one of the people the officer arrested for DWI just had their case dismissed since the arresting officer was unable to show up for the trial?????????? That makes NO sense. They said there are 3 more DWI arrests that the officer made that are most likely going to be dismissed for the same reason. We need a definate change in that law!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Premier Cat

How awful.

I agree, someone who is willing to shoot a police officer will stop at nothing and kill without hesitation.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Police response to shooting death of their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
SO, yeah, I think someone that is willing to shoot a police officer is much more dangerous to the general population!
I agree entirely.

In the late 90s, I was living in central Minnesota when an officer representing our small town of 4,000 people was shot during a traffic stop. Just two years ago, a local officer here in Ohio was killed likewise. Murders are always hard, but there's something about these situations that makes it so much harder to take sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I believe the first guy he is accused of killing was a rival gang member. I know this may be cold and cynical to some, but that doesn't seem quite the same to me.
Completely agreed. Keep us posted on the status of this, that's scary that he's out there somewhere.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Quote:
I agree entirely.

In the late 90s, I was living in central Minnesota when an officer representing our small town of 4,000 people was shot during a traffic stop. Just two years ago, a local officer here in Ohio was killed likewise. Murders are always hard, but there's something about these situations that makes it so much harder to take sometimes.
I agree as well. The person that merely commits a crime of passion such as Scott Peterson basically only has one person in mind to murder. Getting caught is what they want to avoid the most and as such, do not want a confrontation. If caught, most suspects surrender without a fight. They want to be able to blend in and say they got away with murder. Yet for their crime, they still have a fear and respect of the authorities.

The person that would murder a police officer is a person that does not have any respect for the authorities. They will do whatever it takes to avoid capture and that includes killing innocent civilians as well as the police officers. It is their total disregard for any form of authority that makes them far more dangerous.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

They have announced a 50K reward in the case.
http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=s ... 6&cat=HOME
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Man, this is just horrible. According to what I found online about NM's capital punishment laws, if the guy who killed the cop is caught he could be sentenced to death but it isn't likely since capital punishment may be abolished in that state soon and there are only 2 prisoners on Death Row there now. I'm not trying to start a debate about the death penalty here, but I think there are some crimes which should warrant an automatic death sentence. Killing a law enforcement officer is one of them.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Eyes Woman
Man, this is just horrible. According to what I found online about NM's capital punishment laws, if the guy who killed the cop is caught he could be sentenced to death but it isn't likely since capital punishment may be abolished in that state soon and there are only 2 prisoners on Death Row there now. I'm not trying to start a debate about the death penalty here, but I think there are some crimes which should warrant an automatic death sentence. Killing a law enforcement officer is one of them.
I suspect that may be a non-issue. He has already killed on officer to avoid being caught. Now he really has nothing to loose. I suspect he won't come in without a fight.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
I suspect that may be a non-issue. He has already killed on officer to avoid being caught. Now he really has nothing to loose. I suspect he won't come in without a fight.
Clyde Barrow was such a person. And look at how many people he killed in his quest to always remain free. It is said that Bonnie and Clyde knew they would meet a violent end so as such, they had nothing to lose during their robberies and subsequent shootouts. And that made them all the more dangerous...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, including serial killers and child killers (although I've read that a lot of those guys get killed in prison. Hey, even prisons have their standards!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page