Calgon, take me away ~ PLEASE!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Calgon, take me away ~ PLEASE!!!!!

First off, I want to apologize to Crystal for sort of hijacking her "Great Day" thread last night. She asked how everybody else's day was going and I guess I took the opportunity to unload.

The flu season has been neverending here this year. Usually, when the winters are harsh enough, we go through a spurt of the flu season in the months of December and January and sometimes into the first part of February. Well, we had such a mild winter this year so more people have been sick. That's the way it happens all the time. The colder the year, the better ~ because viruses get killed off that way.

My daughter came down with the flu about 4 weeks ago and it lasted for 5 days. After about 3 days of everybody being well my husband and I both came down with the flu on the same day. Luckily, for us, it was a 24-hour bug and we were both fine the next day.

Then my son got the flu about a week and a half after that, and my grandfather passed away during this time. He had been ill for quite some time. He had countless strokes and was basically paralyzed since the middle of December with inability to talk, swallow or even open his eyes so his passing was a blessing.

My son was sick with the flu for only 2 days and everybody seemed well again for approximately another week. THEN, my daughter was struck with what was probably another strain of the flu, had it for about 4 or 5 days again, and as of last night my son started puking for the second time in a month.

I was so absolutely paranoid last night after my son started getting sick again that, after we put the kids to bed, my husband and I washed every single dish and spoon that the kids use, boiled all their pacifiers and washed every toy that they have. Three hours later, when all that was done, I sprayed Lysol all over the living room, where the kids hang out most of the day. I haven't sprayed their room yet because I've been so busy watching them and washing up "flu laundry" that I just haven't gotten in there. Not only that, I have to spray it at a time when I know they won't be in there for a few more hours, so as to give the spray time to dry so it doesn't hurt the kids.

I don't know what else I can do to try and eliminate the germ factor in the house. With the kids being twins, and only 1 year old, they play together all the time, end up chewing on the same toys and pacifiers and it seems almost impossible to get a handle on things. Also, I can't sit and stare at them constantly to make sure that toys and pacifiers don't swap mouths. There're so many other things that need to be done around here so when the kids are content to just play amongst themselves I'm off doing other household chores.

If anybody else has gone through something like this with two or more small youngsters in the house and has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how much more of this I can take before I go crazy. My husband is flying out of town on Sunday afternoon for a 3-day business trip and I pray that he doesn't get sick again while he's gone, or before he's supposed to leave. OMG! When will this end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm so sorry the little ones are sick, Jolene. I think you're doing all you can. All I can do is give you a (((hug.))) I hope they're well soon.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Cool Cat

Well if you didn't have the kiddies I tell you to make a date with Mr. Jack Daniels

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 PM

Re: Calgon, take me away ~ PLEASE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
First off, I want to apologize to Crystal for sort of hijacking her "Great Day" thread last night. She asked how everybody else's day was going and I guess I took the opportunity to unload.
No hard feelings at all -- I asked how your day was, I was expecting an honest answer.

I'm so sorry you've been through all that -- I bet you're glad warm weather is here! Sickness can be so emotionally and physically draining for all involved...you've got to be so tired of it.

Vent away!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot
Well if you didn't have the kiddies I tell you to make a date with Mr. Jack Daniels
Don't think I haven't thought of that. I don't drink, though, so the next best thing to me would be about a case of Mountain Dew and a few hours to myself.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 PM

*hugs* sorry to hear it's been rough.

All I know is what we have been using in the preschool for the last 3 months or so that has made a huge difference (and we are talking 20-25 kids all together every day) We started using that new Clorox Anywhere spray. I was skeptical, but we have had WAY less illnesses going around, among both kids and staff sine we started using it. They are also using in the younger class (1-2 year olds) and we basically just spray down the entire room twice a day, all the toys etc., it's great because it kills everything but is safe enough to be swallowed so you don't have to worry about rinsing it off or it accidentally landing on food, pacifiers, etc.

We call it the Miracle Worker.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe
We started using that new Clorox Anywhere spray. I was skeptical, but we have had WAY less illnesses going around, among both kids and staff sine we started using it. They are also using in the younger class (1-2 year olds) and we basically just spray down the entire room twice a day, all the toys etc., it's great because it kills everything but is safe enough to be swallowed so you don't have to worry about rinsing it off or it accidentally landing on food, pacifiers, etc.

We call it the Miracle Worker.
REALLY! {shrieks with excitement!} I've never heard of Clorox Anywhere spray but you can bet I'll be sending my husband out tomorrow to look for it. I'm kind of the one designated to stay home with sick kids while he's been running errands, i.e., groceries and other household necessities. That has its good points and bad points. I hate shopping anyway, especially on a Saturday!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I heard Clorox is bad for cats though....be careful.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I heard Clorox is bad for cats though....be careful.
I looked the product up on the Internet after exiting this forum. The description says its perfectly safe for humans and animals but the clencher that I caught is that it kills all kinds of bacteria but no viruses. I was really hoping there would be a product out there that is safe to use on a daily basis for killing some common viral illnesses. I did spray some Lysol around the house while the kids were sleeping as Lysol claims to kill certain viruses. Oh well, I'll keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page