Cop killer caught! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Cop killer caught!

Astorga-the guy accused of killing one of our deputies was caught without incident early this am in Juarez Mexico.
He was featured on America's Most Wanted and also placed on the FBIs most wanted list on Saturday.

http://www.kobtv.com/snapshotskob/html/25070.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I am hoping he gets extradicted soon.

I heard from CSI that the Mexican government won't extradict anybody who has a potential of facing death penalty. I have always wondered if it was true or if it was just an urban legend.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

That was on the news this morning. They said there have been cases in the past that the Mexican Gov won't extradite unless we promise no death penalty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I heard from CSI that the Mexican government won't extradict anybody who has a potential of facing death penalty. I have always wondered if it was true or if it was just an urban legend.
They won't. Unfortunately, I actually know a lot about this because of a local cop killer weasel (http://www.kfi640.com/060223Leonard.html) who fled to Mexico in 2002, who many people have been working to extradict since then, and fortunately who finally has!

Until November, 2005 the Mexican gov't refused to return Mexican fugitves that they considered Mexican citizens when they could face the possiblity of death or life without possibility of parole.

In November, the Mexican Supreme Court agreed to begin returning those who have fled to Mexico and face life sentences. It's kind of a deal thing - they will return them, we just can't give them the death penalty. Fine with me! Better in jail for life here then free on the streets of Mexico!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

This guy is not a Mexican Citizen though
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
This guy is not a Mexican Citizen though
oh ok, I was just addressing what Shengmei said.
Guess that wouldn't have mattered in this case. Glad they caught him so quickly!!
Only took 4 years for us to get the one here!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

no, it's still apparently an issue. At least this am they were saying the Mexican Government in the past has not extradited unless they waive the death penalty. Nothing about citizenship or anything.
They're talking now about extradition, which could take weeks or expulsion which would be pretty much instantaneous. Not sure what the difference is?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Maybe we can just let him rot in Mexican jail. From what I hear it is 10X worse than American jail anyway.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

They turned him over to El Paso police this am.
Apparently they loop-holed him. Since he is not a Mexican citizen and he had not commited a crime in Mexico and what they arrested him for is not a capital offense, they deemed him a manace and deported him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page