Litter box train a dog?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Litter box train a dog??

I was just on the dog forum to post a question for my sister and I read where someone is trying to litter train their Jack Russel dog. They rub his nose in it and yell at him when he doesn't go in the box. They are going to get rid of him if he doesn't start going in it. Did I miss something?? How crazy! By the way, it is very boring on that forum. More cat people! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Well, no wonder the dog isn't potty-trained! What they are doing by punishing him that way is counter-productive at best and cruel at worst. You didn't say how old the dog is, but your sister should look into crate training. If it is done properly it can make potty training a lot easier and faster. Doing it properly means NEVER using confinement in the crate as punishment and not leaving the dog in it for too long. Small puppies cannot be expected to stay in the crate for more than a couple of hours at most since they don't have the bladder control they will eventually have as adults. No dog should ever be crated for more than 4-5 hours.

If your sister cannot or will not make an effort to spend enough time with the dog to train it properly, she should just find it another home. Harsh corrections like rubbing the dog's nose in his messes, especially when he's too young to be expected to know better will just result in more behavior problems.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sorry, it is not my sister, I would beat her!! It was a post I saw on the dog forum when I was posting a question for my sister. I wrote a reply and told them if the dog won't go in a litter box, take it outside like other dog owners do. To get rid of a dog for not going in litter box????? Crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Here is that post from the dog forum.

CAN YOU HELP US TRAIN OUR DOG?

We've been trying to litter box train our Jack Russel. He isn't consistant with urinating in the box, but he's doing pretty well.
HOWEVER, HE WON'T POOP IN THE BOX ON HIS OWN! Every day he is scolded for pooping. We have tried everything! In the beginning, I didn't yell or hit because I've been told it was my fault for not watching him, but after he was not getting the picture, I began to yell, than to swat.....NOW WE EVEN RUB HIS NOSE IN IT! What gets me is that when I start yelling at him, he runs to his box as if he KNOWS what he did. So why won't he use the litter?

HELP! WE ARE ABOUT TO LOOK FOR A NEW HOME FOR HIM AND IT IS BREAKING MY HEART!!!!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Senior Cat

... this person shouldn't be allowed to own an animal
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That method of training was common way back when. However, this person shouldn't have a dog. If she really wants the dog, paper train him for BM, and then take the paper outside, so the dog will know that's the place to do his business. It requires patience, but it works. Crate the dog (puppies--no more than four hours) overnight and take him out the first think in the morning. I think every dog should have a fenced in yard or area to exercise anyway.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 AM

Puppy Go Potty - Dog Litter Box Kit

At petacular.com they have a special Puppy Go Potty - Dog Litter Box Kit.
The litter box is bigger and it uses different litter then your normal cat stuff.

I think it's worth a try to train your doggie to use a litter box if you own one of the smaller breeds. I know I would certainly give it a go.

Here is everything you need to get started: http://www.petacular.com/products/Puppy-Go-Potty.html and you can order extra supplies from the site as well. They are a Canadian company but I am sure they ship to the USA and I am sure you can also find something similar online in the USA too.

Cheers
HK
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM

It's breaking their heart, huh?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Those people are crazy.

The poor dog, if they want a pet that is litter trained they should have gotten a cat. But the way they are treating the dog I would hate to see what they would be like with other animals.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry, it is not my sister
Oh, Jeez! You don't need to say sorry, I do! I needed to read that a little better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page