The Darkness - all you UK fans! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The Darkness - all you UK fans!

I absolutely ADORE The Darkness, but they are very underrated in the US. You never hear their songs on the radio, and no one ever mentions them. I honestly think that they are probably the best band since Guns -n- Roses They remind me sooo much of the classic rock songs that I grew up with and that I love. Especially Queen.

Are they big in the UK? Anyone else obsessed with their music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:05 AM

I have heard of them...they only play one song that I know of them over here in the states on the radio. I was not very impressed by it (actually found it to be really annoying) but it is only one song and I typically find with a band/album that the most played song isn't always the best. So I really don't know enough about them to say whether I like them or not.

I do like rock opera though like Queen and maybe you can throw Iron Maiden and System of a Down in there.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 AM

I hadn't heard of them until a month or so ago. But I really like them myself now as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:31 PM

*wrinkles nose* eeeewww...The Darkness....cheesy men in bright colorful tights with grotesquely long lions mane hair that prance around with fake props and sing in high voices...its like the BeeGees gone bad!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

They just bring me warm fuzzies of my childhood I guess - something fresh to listen to that is much like the music of my past... but hasn't gotten boring yet. I enjoy their flamboyance because it is in contrast to the "punk" music of today - the prefab generation. I just see so much David Bowie, Queen, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin in them that it is impossible for me not to love them. Not to mention their originality and their songwriting is outstanding - vulgar but at the same time, sweet. It is so refreshing to see a band more "old-style", I guess. I loved their first album, but "One Way Ticket..." is amazing!!

I am so tired of rap and punky, beachy "Fall Out Boy" types I could puke... but that's just a matter of opinion.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I am so tired of rap and punky, beachy "Fall Out Boy" types I could puke... but that's just a matter of opinion.
AMEN sister!! I won't even play "alternative" rock stations anymore because all they play is the "Stink" 182 wannabees. Don't get me wrong I liked Blink 182 when they first came out. The music really isn't alternative anymore because it is all the same whiney garbage. Every once in a while I hear something that is kinda different and I like it. Some of those bands from the past few years include System of a Down, The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand.

From what Willow describes it sounds like the darkness is a lot like the roots of punk where everyone was all glam and not so much the chains and spikes.

I am big fan of old school punk, classic rock, jazz, and electronica.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Oh great! my description backfired...lol....well poo then!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I like the White Stripes quite a bit, and System of a Down is pretty decent as well (my fave is Sugar). You need to check out the Darkness website at http://www.the%20darknessrocks.com and check out their videos.

It's alright Willow
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Not to mention their originality and their songwriting is outstanding - vulgar but at the same time, sweet.
Just yesterday morning I'm playing the Public Radio Morning Show, which is mostly acoustic/blues/jazz for 3 hours and they also throw in a few oldies,

The Who song 'Mama's got a Squeeze Box, Daddy Never Sleeps at Night", come on and I only have one 40'ish lady on the bus,

slightly feeling embarassed at the moment, I struggled with turning it off, but then figured, It's a great song, and I like the guitar playing,

so I let it play.

She rode the bus again today, and I didn't hear no complaint from the office, so all's well that ends well.

Darkness is more inspiring then alot of the stuff being passed off as popular music, but I must admit to only hearing the one popular song too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I LOVE The Who! That song is probably my favorite, along with "Happy Jack". I even named my dog Daltrey! (The other dog I named Mojo Risin') When I tell people their names' they look at me incredulously and say "Wasn't that a little before your time?" (I'm 22)

I have to give props to my dad for bringing me up "right"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page