irresponsible pet owner rant...but maybe meant to be...*PIX* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

irresponsible pet owner rant...but maybe meant to be...*PIX*

Hey everyone! It's been a long time! Hope you are doing well!

Get this....I work as a leasing agent at an apt. complex in Florida and a resident came in yesterday to tell us that someone abandoned a cat in front of our tennis court. So I drive over there and sure enough some one left a young male, orange tabby (with little white socks!) He was stuffed in a crate that was way too small for him, with a fleece blanket tucked all around him IT WAS 91 DEGREES HERE.....FLEECE BLANKET !!

To make matters worse, they left his dirty litterbox next to him and attached a ziploc bag of food to the other side of his crate. He must have been hungry because by the time i got to him he had pulled half the plastic of the ziploc bag through the side of the crate trying to get to the food.

I have a dog and a cat in my apartment right now. Only allowed 2 pets per apartment - but someone had to rescue this little guy. So, he's currently in my bathroom right now. It's actually a fairly big room, so that's good, but he's MEOWED all night long and kept sticking his little arms under the crack of the door, which in turn made my dog go crazy and then there's Franny who is just literally having a HISSY fit. I'd love to let the little guy roam around the apartment, but he's not fixed and i can't have him spray (he seems right around that age) and more importantly I dont know his history and don't want to expose Franny to anything.

So, this morning I go to the local no-kill BUT they won't take him because he's not my pet and they do not take lost/found animals. They directed me to the county shelter which is the only place that will take lost/found animals. SO i then drive over there and when I arrive they tell me they'll take him, but he'll sit in quarantine for 5 days before they do anything to him AND when I asked if he'd be put down, the woman said they do euthanize and she pointed to a dry erase board that had a listing of all the animals they took in last month. In the month of MARCH ALONE they took in 448 cats....of that 448....338 WERE euthanized!!! That is like 75-80% of all the cats that were brought in. So of course, I couldn't leave him there with a 75-80% chance of being put down.

Back in the car I go....so I drive back over to the local no-kill and sign him up for the low-cost neuter on Tuesday and the aids test and shots, etc....and I do believe I just inherited another kitty!!

I think I'll name him Wrigley (huge Cubs fan -we're going to do it this year!!)

I'll post photos later....

Seriously though, if there is anyone in the Orlando area that is looking for a cat, let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Poor baby!!!! That is sooo great that you rescued him. I guess I feel pretty lucky that the shelter I volunteer at only euthanizes once in a blue moon and it is due to an untreatable medical or behavioral issue.

He sounds like a cutie. you are awesome for doing the right thing. Hope you can find him a good home or are able to keep him yourself.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I know...Who would do something like that. He could have died out there. And, he was tucked away where it was hard to see him, behind the bushes. It's not like he was in the open where someone would have easily found him. I assume he was out there for a while. It will work out. I'll either keep him or find him a good home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

Lucky for the little one that you found him. You have a big heart! I do hope you find a home for him. I thank you for caring so much for little ones.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm so glad you gave in to your heart.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I'm so glad you gave in to your heart.
Yeah, well, you know me. I'm a sucker for this stuff. Guess most of us are though, or we wouldn't be on a cat forum. In any case, we'll see what happens. Atleast he has the appointment for Tuesday to get all his medical needs taken care of. (I'm so broke too, this could not have happened at a worse time..but....that's life!) I think he's spraying in my bathroom, it smells awful in there. Not like the kitty boxes I am used to. Is this typical for a male cat? I've always, always had girl everythings!! hehe.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
ahh poor baby! i would take him, i think my husband would move out!

There is however a no kill shelter here in Daytona, that i got both Teagan and Tierney from. They are wonderful!!!

It's called ARNI, ask for kim! They know me, in fact Tierney and teagan's picture is up in the place. Whenever i walk in to donate, they try to hand me another kitty. looking for the website.. seems to missing!

386) 267-0277

126 W Internatl Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Edit: to add # and address.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks, I'll call them and see what they say!!!
I forgot you were in Daytona. We should get together sometime, I go out there quite a bit!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 PM

How sad! Glad you found him.

I hate mean people.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, we went to Petco today to buy some toys for the little guy and of course it's Sunday, so it was adoption day. I really, really wanted to take home this cute little rottie mix puppy that reminded me so much of Ava when she was a baby. Anyway, I started talking to a woman who runs the cat/kitten no-kill rescue organization and she said she'd post a picture of the cat on her website as long as i was willing to foster him until we found someone to adopt him. I told her i was willing to keep him unless i found someone to adopt him, so that was no problem. I also got information from her to volunteer one day a week with the cats at the local store. It's right down the street from me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page