What would you say was the Best World War II aircraft? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
ZAR
Cool Cat

What would you say was the Best World War II aircraft?

For those who may have a intersted in WW2, like myself, should know lots of the aircraft. List your reason why you persoanlly think it was the best WW2 aircraft, and why.
I would say the:
De Havilland Mosquito

My reasons are, that it was an elite bomber, that the brithis had, with top speeds of over 400MPH, wood wing construction light built for speed, sturdy structure. Used for Fighter useage, Bomber usage, Reconasence usage. It had many rolls. Even though this aircraf was lowly rated, the speed agility of this aircraft could evade the strongest of flack.

Go ahead and send yours in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool Cat

Haven't really thought about it Zach. My bro is a big WWll history buff, that's probably one question he hasn't been asked yet.

Shari
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
ZAR
Cool Cat

Heh, I thought it would end up like this. Why not ask him. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM

Ha... I don't think too many people have a take on this.

I just read a great book called Flyboys about American pilots in WWII.

From what I read, the impression that I got was that the B-29 pretty much ended the war with Japan before a land invasion (costing A LOT more life on both sides) occured.

Taken from a website:
B-29s were primarily used in the Pacific theater during World War II. As many as 1,000 Superfortresses at a time bombed Tokyo, destroying large parts of the city. Finally, on Aug. 6, 1945, the B-29 Enola Gay dropped the world's first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later a second B-29, Bockscar, dropped another atomic bomb on Nagasaki. Shortly thereafter, Japan surrendered.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

The B-17. Because there were so many they covered Germany like an aluminum cloud. It was rugged and forgiving. Many returned to base, saving their crews, with damage that would cause other aircraft to fall out of the skies.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
ZAR
Cool Cat

B-17 bombers, yep they were rugged and stong. They had alot of flak posts on them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Cat Addict

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the old Thunderbolt, the republic P47, but I think that is mainly because I once knew a man that flew one of them. His favorite story was about heading back to his airbase after a mission with his guns almost empty, and a german fighter attacking him from behind. The little german plane was much more nimble than the old Thunderbolt and he couldn't get away, but the P47 took all the hits from the german plane and kept flying. He said that the german pilot flew up beside him, looked the P47 over really good, saluted and headed for home.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
ZAR
Cool Cat

Ah yes, and to add to the reasons for my love of the Mosquito, 633 Squadron all used them. Heh, via once of favorite movies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page