What religion to raise the kids...need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

What religion to raise the kids...need advice

My little sister and her fiance are getting married in December of this year. She is Catholic and he is Lutheran. They are getting married in our Catholic Church. The priest told them, during their first meeting, to decide now what religion to raise their kids (of course the priest would like them to be raised Catholic but he said he understands if that doens't happen.)

Well they are stuck. They don't know what to do. She wants to raise them Catholic and he wants to raise them Lutheran. Acutually, she said they could be raised Lutheran and he would take them to Church while she attends her own mass. But he wants to all go as a family.....so does he want her to convert? She says he doens't but that is kind of what it sounds like to me.

Does anyone have an links to marriage/raising your kids for interfaith marriages? I'd be interested to send her a link to some kind of forum where other people are facing the same issue because right now they are just stuck on what to do..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Cool Cat

Re: What religion to raise the kids...need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180
She wants to raise them Catholic and he wants to raise them Lutheran.
Not that I always agree with her, but Dr. Laura would say don't have kids then!
I think this is a HUGE red flag and they need to decide one way or the other. If there is an arguement about this NOW, you can only imagine how it will be later on.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 PM

I'm surprised the priest isn't guiding them through this. Are they in premarriage counseling? Brandon and I started ours and he made sure if we did have different religions, to get that settled right away with his guidance.

Also, I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between Catholics and Lutherans...I know that Luther split from the Roman Catholic Church, but I can't recall where the religions differ. *shrug*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:09 PM

I think there is a reason God is smart...Being "Married Equally Yoked" wasnt for his benefit but for ours...to save all this confusion and heartbreak.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
i am catholic and DH is Lutheran, We got married in the catholic church and we had to sign something saying the kids would be raised catholic. Now, DH doesn't have a problem with it, he feels the 2 are "close" enough, and you get the good "christian" values in both. it will all depend on the parents.. hard to say
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I could be wrong, but I always thought the Catholics and Lutherans are actually close...or at least closer than between the Catholics and Baptists, for example.

I don't think they need to worry. Just take it one day at a time.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:38 PM

i hope they get it worked out before they marry, because i know some kids whose parents were different religions, and their kids got so confused they don't want anything to do with religon now
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Cat

why not do both? teach the children the basic moral values and mores that all christ based churches have, expose them to both religions as a family, there are four weekends in a month... kinda like religious time share.

My parents let me choose my own religion (huzzah for non-practicing catholics)so I studied them all, and have found that I'm more well versed in bible studies (OMG anyone else see that special on the Gospel of Judas?!) and am more spiritual than the all of christians I know irl.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Gospel of Judas was refuted as early as 100 A.D. If even the earliest Christians could not agree on the authenicity, I would rather not study it.

As far as religion goes, I would probably lean towards Lutheran...Catholicism seems to be much more difficult to practice.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
Shengmi,

There isnt' much of a difference. My husband and i practice all the same things. Lutheran is just a longer service, with a differnt view on the reasons for marriage and divorce (from what my husband and i have talked about)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page