Ants-how to get rid of them! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Ants-how to get rid of them!

Hey guys
I've got some ant mounds at the base of my house that I'd like to get rid of. Everything I've tried so far really doesn't work.
I went out and got diatomaceous earth since I've heard that is supposed to work well plus it's not a poison it kills mechanically. It doesn't really seem to be working. If I cover 1 mound, a new one pops up next to it. I was hoping they'd bring it back down in the nest and everyone would feast and that would be it. They are avoiding it, but not really eating it.......Its only been there for about 3 days, but I thought any ants that ate it or came into contact with it would die within 48hrs?
Maybe mix it with some sugar as an attractant? Any ideas? Obviously I need stuff that is pet friendly so nothing toxic.

FWIW, they seem to be just your average little ants. Not carpenter and not fire ants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I actually like little ants.

I always just pour a gallon of boiling water in ant hills, that seem to do the trick.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

tried that didn't work. Everything I've read says that's only a quick fix, it won't get deep enough into the nest to kill the queen. As long as she's still alive the colony will regrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Jen, might it be better to put the diatomaceous earth AROUND the mounds rather than directly on them? That way, the ants may not sense that the mound is being damaged.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I just read to NOT disturb the mound before treating it!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Another thing Jen is that you may want to find out the content of the version of diatomaceous earth you are using. If it contains a high amount of crystalline silcates, best not to use that outdoors as pest control. Inhaling it can lead to silicosis, a condition similar to asbestiosis and mesothelioma. But if it is the type that comes from freshwater sources and/or has a high percentage of amorphous silicates, it is much safer if there is an inhalation risk.

Funny how the EPA banned diazinon (one of the most effective ant killers) yet has no problem restricting saltwater sourced diatomaceous earth? And it is even funnier how diazinon is banned, yet malathion is not????
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I did check that! I once did a study on silicosis, so I've seen the effects.
It's 85% silicone dioxide made from Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth fresh water type!
Even so I'm still wearing a N95 particulate mask! Perks of working in a Respiratory Research Lab, I can get properly fitted for this stuff!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I think I might have some diazinon left, some of the granular type. I'm a little leary of using in the back yard with the dogs, but they've never shown any interest to what I've been doing so far!
Maybe sprinkle a few of those on the hole. Will the ants eat that stuff?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Actually, I think I might have some diazinon left, some of the granular type. I'm a little leary of using in the back yard with the dogs, but they've never shown any interest to what I've been doing so far!
Maybe sprinkle a few of those on the hole. Will the ants eat that stuff?
I do not think it works that way. I suspect that moisture in the soil and/or a good rain will carry it into the soil.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:40 AM

Terro. You need to get Terro. It is the ONLY thing that ever worked for us, my entire family swears by it, AND it is completely non-toxic to pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page