Petco mouse cruelty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Petco mouse cruelty

I hope it's OK to post this here. Although I've had my precious cat for 2 years I'm new to this board and I'd hate to offend by breaking rules so if this is not allowed, mods please delete and let me know.

I just wanted to bring to people's attention a problem with Petco's handling of mice. I bought 4 fancy mice as pets a while back. I got all 4 from the female cage - I was there as he took all 4 out for me - but as it turns out what I actually got was 2 males and 2 females. The end result obviously was a bunch of breeding mice. I thought I could deal with the situation by separating them myself after the first litter weaned but I just missed the window and so I ended up with yet another litter. At this point I had over 20 mice and even with 2 cages they were overcrowded and it was becoming a problem for their well being. I went back to Petco to surrended them all but unfortunately Petco does not take them back. The good thing was there was one employee who had a heart and brought out an aquarium where I placed them all but then the manager found out and came storming at me (while I was shopping for bird food and cat food) and yelling that I take them back and litterally chased me out the store showing me her keys, threatening to lock me in.

I'm not sure where to go with this but in my heart I think what they are doing is wrong. They are pretending to separate mice by sex but in reality they are not. Then when you're stuck with too many mice that are breeding they turn their backs as if it isn't their problem anymore. This is needless cruelty to these poor animals. I know they're just mice and a cat would have them for dessert but I don't think people should be doing this. I've since no longer gone to Petco for any of my pet food and supplies and I wrote a letter to management but I've not heard any response in weeks. I don't know whether or not it's worth the effort for me to do anymore at this point but I thought at least I could share this info with other animal lovers. Hopefully I won't get laughed off this board (defending the rights of mice to cat lovers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:47 PM

its illegal to feed live mice to any other animal. the way they are doing that would suggest that when the person buys the mice, has babies, gets over crowded then cannabilism must soon follow.

tell you what, why not go to your local newspaper and telll them what happened?

tell them of your plight of having all these mice and the shop lied to you about there sex.... and that they did nothing to rectify the situation and as such you are now shouldered with more mice that you cant handle and have not the heart to kill them.... do it, it'll ruin there credibility!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 PM

That's an excellent idea, I'd go to the paper. How funny it would be for them to see their actions in print.

I don't think the situation is laughable at all...yes, I love cats, who by nature hunt mice...but I still think rodents deserve the same respect a dog or cat would get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:44 PM

thats awful. i dont thing your rediculous, i'm a cat lover and i have pet rats.

unfortunately, it is not illegal to feed mice live to snakes. i wish it were, but it's not.

petco is awful the way they can't even tell the genders of the animals they sell.

in the future, you could have the males fixed, maybe. also, male mice cannot live in the same cage, they often fight to the death.

just a random fact, i know petco has 2 kinds of mice: fancy, and feeder, or "common". in reality, all those mice are from the same breeders, often from the same litter. there is no difference between them whatsoever, except their color. but petco labels them like that so most people are under the impression that the feeders are geneticaly different. its awful.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Prints
just a random fact, i know petco has 2 kinds of mice: fancy, and feeder, or "common". in reality, all those mice are from the same breeders, often from the same litter. there is no difference between them whatsoever, except their color. but petco labels them like that so most people are under the impression that the feeders are geneticaly different. its awful.
That's really sick. There are no Petco's in my area so I've never been there -- but if there are any in North Carolina I WILL NOT be shopping there.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Petco's mishandling of live animals in their stores is nothing new, and apparently nothing has changed for the better.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Wow...I'm surprised at their treatment of you, that was terrible. I'm not surprised you don't want to shop there anymore.

I work for a competing chain, and we would not treat you that way in our store. Although we are supposed to get small animals of only one sex at our store, sometimes the supplier makes mistakes and we've had a few litters of small furries born there. Our policy is to give away the babies with the mother, or if no one takes her by the time the babies are weaned, they are given away separately. They are not sold or bred on purpose or placed in our sale cages. Anyone buying a live animal from us can bring it back for ANY reason within 14 days, and sometimes longer. I think in your situation we'd still take them back after the 14 days.

Sorry you got stuck with all those mice! Maybe you could place an ad in the paper and sell them to recoup some of your lost money.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Our policy is to give away the babies with the mother, or if no one takes her by the time the babies are weaned, they are given away separately.
unfortunately, sometimes the people who adopt them are actualy going "look at this, free feeders! i don't have to pay anything!" there isn't any way to screen the adopters, so it's always a chance they are not going home as pets. that's something to keep in mind if you decide to sell them, MyLittleZoo, it's a good idea to check how much the feeders are in your area, and charge higher than that.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Our policy is to give away the babies with the mother, or if no one takes her by the time the babies are weaned, they are given away separately.
unfortunately, sometimes the people who adopt them are actualy going "look at this, free feeders! i don't have to pay anything!" there isn't any way to screen the adopters, so it's always a chance they are not going home as pets. that's something to keep in mind if you decide to sell them, MyLittleZoo, it's a good idea to check how much the feeders are in your area, and charge higher than that. if you still have them, you could go to -->this forum<--, sign up, and post about your situation under the "rescue and adoption" area. then people there can help you find people in your area who could take your mice
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that is usually the employees that take home females and babies. It really doesn't happen that often at my store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page