LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Article - "Nuggets of Death"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/opini ... ref=slogin

Op-Ed Contributor
Nuggets of Death
By NINA TEICHOLZ
Published: April 16, 2006

IT'S never pleasant to learn that an artificial substance in your food might be ruining your health. This is what happened with trans fats when they were "discovered" in the food supply a few years ago, after a high-profile lawsuit against the makers of the Oreo cookie (laden with trans fats, who knew?) captured headlines nationwide.

The publicity pushed the Food and Drug Administration to require that trans fats be listed on package labels starting this year. Producers of cookies, cakes, crackers, frozen foods and margarines, all high in trans fats, thus had an incentive to eliminate them from their products. But Americans would be better protected if the F.D.A. would limit trans fats in all foods.

The problem with the labeling regulation is that it does not cover restaurant fare and other unpackaged food. This giant loophole was exposed by Danish researchers who collected and analyzed food from 20 countries, and whose results were published last week in The New England Journal of Medicine. The researchers found that there are far more trans fats in McDonald's meals in the United States than in the same McDonald's fare in most other parts of the world.

Trans fats, which are basically a form of hardened vegetable oil, are a staple ingredient in our foods because they're cheaper than butter and they guarantee a long shelf life. Trans fats are also easily manipulated, able to give a Goldfish cracker its crunch, for instance, or make frosting creamy.

Trans fats are worrisome, however, because more than any other macronutrient in the diet they not only raise L.D.L., the so-called bad cholesterol, but also lower H.D.L., the good. (Saturated fat, in contrast, raises both kinds.) A daily intake of five grams of trans fats increases the risk of contracting heart disease 4 percent to 28 percent, various studies have shown.

Consuming that much trans fat is far too easy. The Danish study found that a large order of McDonald's French fries in the United States contains almost six grams of trans fats, while a large portion (10 pieces) of Chicken McNuggets serves up almost four grams. Eaten together, they deliver nearly 10 grams of a substance considered so unhealthy that the National Academy of Sciences concluded, in 2002, that the only safe amount of trans fats in the diet is zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Wellnow...I have yet another reason to not eat Chicken McNuggets! Besides the first reason, which is that they are nasty!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Nooooo! Im eating some right now! McDeath nuggets just taste so gooood

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Having tasted both American and UK McDonalds (unfortunately!) I can totally believe this. And the ridiculous size of the American meals?? That could feed me for a week I'm sure!

If I ever do step foot into a McDonalds now (usually after being forced to in a rubbish motorway service station) I stick with the veggie deli sandwich.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 AM

I won't eat fast food after reading the book Fast Food Nation. I had my reservations before but reading that book sealed it for me. I try to stay away from as much processed food as possible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
I won't eat fast food after reading the book Fast Food Nation. I had my reservations before but reading that book sealed it for me. I try to stay away from as much processed food as possible.
I'll have to read that, sounds interesting.

I avoid fast food at all costs - and this is yet another reason to!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I am not so sure if they use so much trans fat in restaurants. Personally, I can taste trans fat (another one of my interesting genetic quirks) and it tastes bitter to me, so I don't eat a lot of sweets.

Trans fat is put in to make cookies, etc. last longer. I would be very surprised if they put trans fats in restaurant meals (they are supposed to be fresh and not last very long)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I would be very surprised if they put trans fats in restaurant meals (they are supposed to be fresh and not last very long)
Fast food is NOT fresh. And I thought scientific research suggested that humans can't taste trans fat and other unsaturated fats?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Cool Cat

I think shengmei is talking about non fast food restaurants.

I try to avoid processed food and fast foods after watching Supersize Me.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I think shengmei is talking about non fast food restaurants.
Ok. But even still, restaurants that deep-fry food are likely to use it, and I doubt that New York would ask restaurants to stop using it unless they KNEW that it was being used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page