Murphy's Law Vacation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Murphy's Law Vacation

Some of you might remember me posting awhile back about vacation plans. DH and I can't afford a "real" vacation, so we decided to go camping for a few days at Enchanted Rock (Central Texas). We were going to leave Tuesday, but the high was 97 degrees, so we decided to wait another day.
We get there late Wednesday evening and set up our tent. We then realize that part of the tent is missing (I told hubby we should check to make sure it was all there before, but then we didn't ). The waterproofing that goes on the top was missing. We see rain clouds overhead and know that the forecast called for 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Crap.
DH decides he will drive to town (1.5 hours roundtrip) to buy a tarp to put over the tent. I will stay behind and if it starts raining, take down the tent real quick and get under one of the little shelters.
An hour later, it starts raining. I flip the tent upside down and get under the shelter. I call DH and he asks me to put the whole tent under the shelter. I go out in the rain, grab the tent and drag it across the ground, tent in one hand, umbrella in the other. Then I wait under the shelter as this huge thunderstorm rages and HAIL starts coming down.
DH gets back and after the rain stops FINALLY, we got set the tent back up and DH fashions a way to hold the tarp on. We did this in the dark with a Coleman latern. We try to go to sleep as it is now midnight. Unfortunately, the wind is blowing so hard that it is rattling the tarp intermittently and so neither of us can sleep.
I'm all for driving to a motel but DH says it's too late and plus we have our contacts out. We sleep in the car. Another huge thunderstorm hits later that night.
The next day, we manage to do a little hiking before we realize it's about to rain again, so we rush back and pack up the tent and our stuff. We drive to town to do a little shopping. Guess what? It's raining. And hailing like crazy.
So our camping trip was cut short and was pretty darn crappy. I'm guessing this is one of those things we'll enjoy telling stories about later. Right now I'm just sorely disappointed and feel like I just wasted my week off. Other people at my work get to go places like Hawaii and all I wanted was a few days camping and couldn't even have that. Yes, I'm jealous and whiny. I know.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Is the trip near Boerne, Texas? I would love to know more details.....I am going there for honeymoon in about two weeks.

The storm was horrific last night. What was even worse is my idiot neighbors doing a "rain dance" party in the storm until five A.M. They had skull rainsticks, marijuana, and alcohol. I was so glad when it started pouring because they had been partying nonstop for the last two months. I thought to myself "aaahhhh.....finally.....a night of decent sleep" Not so.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It was right by Fredericksburg, Texas. It looks like Boerne is about 40 miles south of where we were.
I'll post some pics later...it was a pretty nice place when it wasn't raining. There were tons of deer everywhere and we saw a few bunnies.
Fredericksburg is a German town and had some interesting shops in the downtown area.
Any other questions, just let me know. I lived in Austin for 4 years, so I am familiar with a lot of the Central Texas area, but I have not been to Boerne.
Sorry to hear about your neighbors...it stormed here at home last night also and it was quite nice since I was indoors!

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Premier Cat

Oh shoot. Stormy camping trips are just not fun.

But you're right -- you will laugh about it down the road. My family camping trip got rained on two years ago. The first night there (in our brand new tent) it poured, plus my 3 year old niece got sick and cried all night so no one slept.

The next day, we were so desperate to be dry and away from the campsite that we went out to eat lunch in a restaurant, even though we were all filthy, with muddy feet and legs. 5 adults and 7 kids, all looking like we'd been dragged down a dirt road! I'm sure the restaurant staff was thrilled to see us. It is funny now.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 AM

I'm sorry your trip was ruined! I know I've gone on trips to water parks before, only to realize I don't have a swimming suit!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Ah, that sucks! You WILL laugh about it later, I promise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Premier Cat

Vacations are never quite what you imagine they will be. Someone was just telling me they almost prefer before vacation when you are excited and preparing, because the actual event never quite lives up to the hype.

My husband and I just returned from vacation with his extended family, we all went to Florida. In general it was a marvelous time and we saw a bunch of great sites, but the trip certainly had it's gliches.

As Crystal said, they are usually what you remember and laugh about later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page