My feelings were hurt - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My feelings were hurt

When my grandmother passed away years ago, I only wanted 2 items from her house. One was this tiny little cast metal horse that my grandfather got at Churchill Downs back in the 1950's for like $1 or so. I wanted it because as a child, I wore the chrome off of it in places playing with it on my grandparents floor.

The other thing was grandma's "gossip bench". For those that have never seen one, in the days that telephones were wired permanently into the wall, people would place the phones on a gossip bench, which is a telephone table with an attached seat or chair. For the sake of authenticity, I scrounged around on E-bay until I found a 1950's Stromberg Carlson rotary dial phone, just like grandma had. Now, they all set in the hallway, just like they did at her house.

My neice saw my gossip bench and rotary dial phone today, and called me "technologically challenged".

My feelings were so hurt....<sniff sniff>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
A GOSSIP BENCH!!!???

I am going to Boerne, Texas on a honeymoon for the SOLE REASON of buying one of those. Your neice doesn't know how valuable they are.

But then, I deeply treasure my 1987 Centurion bike. I guess I am just one of those old-fasioned people.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM

Aww...what a horrible feeling. ::hugs::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Cat

your niece needs a smack. seriously

and not just for being a complete twit but for not recognising the sentimental value of the pieces
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:32 PM

I agree with cass. That was totally insensitive of her.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Re: My feelings were hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePageKY
My neice saw my gossip bench and rotary dial phone today, and called me "technologically challenged".

My feelings were so hurt....<sniff sniff>
Heh, ask your niece if she can use a good old fashioned manual typewriter, a slide rule, a mimeograph, a reel to reel tape deck/super8 movie projector, turntable, or a full manual camera without a built in meter. Granted, I have no idea if she was merely joking or not. But ask her if she can do simple percentage calculations or even farenheit to celsius (or vice versa) in her head or at least without a calculator?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Premier Cat

I know exactly what you are talking about with the gossip bench. I grew up in an old farmhouse that had been in my Dad's family for years. The phone, which at one time was a rotary, was right smack in the middle of the house, We also had a chair to sit in. But I remember Dad talking about the bench that used to sit there. I wonder what happened to it?
Anyway, that brings back memories. Although gotta say I hated the phone in the middle of the house when I was a teenager. Everyone could hear everything.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Cool Cat

I'm sure your niece just wasn't thinking or else she doesn't "get it".
Not too long ago our regular phone was broken and we were using a rotary phone. I was not happy, as we have to dial the area code + the phone number...10 digits and many of the numbers had 0's, 9's and 8's.
I couldn't believe I had to explain to my DH the other day what party lines were...he had never heard of them.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, party lines, I have heard of those too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I think my niece may have been joking a bit....maybe...I think. She has this dry sense of humor, thats actually funny....when I'm able to get it.

I remember party lines too, we had one when my family moved to the house where my parents live now. If you picked up the phone, it was very likely you could hear someone else having a conversation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page