temporary ban religious threads - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

temporary ban religious threads

there will be a temporary ban on religious threads. if a thread is open now, it can stay open if it goes well.

religion can be a very "hot" topic fraught with contradictory opinions.

lets get back to more cat topics and lighter threads. i am reviewing ways we can get back to these topics without it turning into hard feelings and preaching ones beliefs. whether one is an atheist or believer.

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

I think it would be a good idea to make this a permanent ban. And perhaps include politics. There are plenty of places on the internet for heated discussion about controversial topics. This is a place primarily for discussion about cats....giving help, getting help.

I really don't think there's any way to "get back to these topics without it turning into hard feelings and preaching ones beliefs" because feelings are just too strong and the way they're expressed is open to a great deal of individual and subjective interpretation both by other members and forum staff. Moderating these topics is a nightmare. I think it's best to just stay away from them.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 AM

I don't agree. Part of being an adult is learning the process of expressing your beliefs while hearing someone elses. Sometimes that happens in unexpected forums. Certainly this is first and foremost a cat forum, but there is a lounge area. It does make a moderator's job more difficult, but if a moderator doesn't want that responsibility I'm assuming they have the option of declining the job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I am fine with religious threads. It's the way they usually turn into sem-political (i.e. conservatives versus liberals) threads that bothered me.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Well, politics and religion are inextricably tied together in the United States which is why it happens so much.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM

I'm fine with religious threads and i think putting a ban on religious things and/or politic is suppressing people and then it makes us nothing but mindless zombies who answer questions to annoying newbies who wonder how their uneutered male and unspayed female mated at 6 months of age and got pregnant.

No offense...but it to so long just to post a simple topic stating "im putting a temporary ban on religious threads" that we figured out our issues ourselves and resolved them all and i think its safe to say that the majority of the hard feelings have cleared up.

i think if it happens again, then it should be discussed in a "neutral grounds" thread not just banned... which is like taking away a childs lollypop just because its being sucked wrong.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Cool Cat

Religious threads

Coaster makes a good point, and I tend to agree with him.
On the other hand.....you can always avoid these topics if you find them disagreeable. I don't tend to get involved in contensious discussions (only very occasionally) as that's not what I come to Catforum for.
But if anyone is interested in getting stuck into a heated debate the Lounge should perhaps cater for that as well?
It's a tricky one, isn't it?

seashell
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

Cait - those who've been around here for a while have seen this come up again and again -- sensitive topics that just deteriorate into hot rhetoric. Just because the current flap has settled down doesn't mean it won't happen again.

And as far as suppression, what about bad language, personal attacks, prohibited links, signature size & content limits, and so on. You could call that suppression. But it's just rules formulated by the forum administration to make the forum the kind of forum he wants. For everybody to know how he wants things to run smoothly. This isn't a democracy, it's a business. Business owners have the right to choose how and with whom they do business. If he doesn't want religious threads, then that's not suppression, that's just his choice of business practices. The right to free speech doesn't apply when you're on someone else's property. Which essentially is where we are when we're here.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Yes..BUT....the people are quickly losing the ability to speak their religions in public because the government deems it unfit, unsavory and offensive. for some of us people who rarely go out to the outside world..here is the only place we have to talk to people about things that matter to us. I have been around long enough to know how things can deteriorate around here in certain threads. but unless someones moral character is being harmed in a slanderous way...i think it should be left to discuss itself out, else people's feelings would be hurt more if it is just closed.

we are not children, we are not YOUR children, we are adults with adult views and adult feelings...let us figure things out in an adult way.

Quote:
bad language, personal attacks, prohibited links, signature size & content limits
These things just make sense...they either are "Directly" hurtful or harm a persons character ..and as for bad links, oversized signatures...and content limits...well that has no place in a discussion of this nature
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmenagerie
I don't agree. Part of being an adult is learning the process of expressing your beliefs while hearing someone elses. Sometimes that happens in unexpected forums. Certainly this is first and foremost a cat forum, but there is a lounge area. It does make a moderator's job more difficult, but if a moderator doesn't want that responsibility I'm assuming they have the option of declining the job

I agree with what you say, but I cannot accept the last sentence without noting that there is an alternative. Members could read the rule about not insulting other members, and obey it.

Mods are volunteers who try to make the forum an enjoyable site to visit. They are not paid. They do it because they care about the forum and its members. To paraphrase a very wise former moderator, Empath, the members probably see us as the enemy, and yet, we feel so protective about them.

The vast majority of members obey the rules. Catman shouldn't have to keep choosing new mods because a few people don't know how to discuss important matters in a respectful way. Philosophical discussion should be respectful. It is enjoyable, fulfilling, and educational when the participants know their subject and present it with logic and respect. However, a few members love and thrive on "drama."

In the past, we were able to conduct discussions on almost any subject with respect for all participants. This problem is relatively new, and is depriving all of us of entertaining and educational subjects.

However, catman owns this forum, and it is his call.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page