Etiquette? Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Etiquette? Question

I'm not really sure how to word the subject...it's not really an etiquette question.
So, here's the deal. A couple in our bible study class had a baby 2 months premature. He is finally home and people have signed up to bring the family meals every other day to help them out. I signed up for two days. I've never done this sort of thing before.
Should I call them and ask what time we should bring it? Should I ask them what they would like? I know they will just say that anything is fine, to be polite...but I really would like to bring them something they would enjoy and that everyone else hasn't already brought them. (I remember my brother saying not to bring him any lasagna when he was in a similar situation.) I also would like to bring a balanced meal and all that...for instance, I was thinking of a chicken and rice dish, but then I'd want to bring a vegetable with it. But I have no idea what kind of vegetable they would like! I don't want to seem like I am giving them the inquisition either by asking them "do you like X? do you like Y? do you like Z?" Etc.
I would ask other people in our sunday school class, but I don't want to seem dumb. I am not really close friends with any of them.
So...what do you think?
I'm also trying to figure out what to make. I don't cook a whole lot...I do know how to make a few things, but I have no idea if others would like them.
I know I'm probably overthinking this.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Senior Cat

I'd say that the best bet for veggies is a medely with carrots, peas and various zuchinis
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM

My mom takes meals to people at our church all the time. Actually, she'll make lasagna most of the time...maybe EVERYONE makes lasagna and people getting meals a lot get tired of it. But if you don't want to ask someone else in your class, the easiest thing to do would be to just call them up. I think it's a good idea to ask what time they would like it, if they say "Oh, anytime is fine," ask what time the working spouse gets home...it would be silly to bring it at five if they don't get home until after six. And since you've already got them on the phone, you can just say, well, I was thinking about making vegetables X, Y, or Z, is there one in particular you'd like?
Maybe you're overthinking it a little, but look how much time I just spent thinking about it...and I'm not cooking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Cool Cat

For the first meal--splerg,

get some fancy resteraunt to do the whole thing with alot of variety

and sit down and eat with them if possible,

and then you'll better know what to do for the second.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, I don't get home until 5:30 anyway....so it would have to be after that. But I am off the day before, so I could do any prep work then. My first date to bring them food is Friday.

Shannon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

Give them a call. I think they'll appreciate your concern. And if they won't tell you what they'd like, then ask them to tell you what they DON'T like.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM

Just be honest and say exactly what you posted. Ask them if there's anything in particular that they'd like -- tell them you would really love to bring them something they'd enjoy, and perhaps give them a few options if they are hesitant. If they still don't feel comfortable making a request, do your best. You're doing a good thing no matter what. Maybe if you get to know them a bit more, they'd be more comfortable letting you know what they'd like.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

I have made lots of dinners for new moms, post-operative patients, family members of someone who's passed away, etc. I have found that people are always delighted if you ask what they'd prefer.

It's a good thing to do since the mom may be breastfeeding and trying to avoid certain foods that can alter the taste of the milk or cause reactions (such as gas) in the baby. It's also good to find out if there are any food allergies to consider.

Ask them what others have brought. Give them a couple of choices of things you know how to make. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Make sure you ask them if they are allergic to nuts or have gluten sensitivity
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Okay, I called and she told me that they are simple and anything is fine. She said nothing very spicy. I asked if mexican is okay if it's not too spicy and she said that's fine. So I think I will make chicken enchiladas and spanish rice for the first go round. Everyone around here loves mexican food and I don't have to put chiles or anything spicy in it. I figure most people would not make that type of dish.
I'm off tomorrow, so I'm going to use a new recipe and "practice" on my husband. I'm sure he'll be happy, since it means I'll be cooking for him also.

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page