Water Shortage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Water Shortage

At the moment Brisbane is having a water crisis. Our dam is close to empty! We're on rather strict water usage restrictions because of this. We have been getting rain but it just seems to keep missing the dam. Well anyways, the government has decided to build another dam so we dont end up running out of water, the only problem is that if they put the dam in the area they're wanting to they will be potentually causeing many species to become endangered!

Which would be the best outcome, run out of water or threaten our wildlifes existance?

I myself am very much againt endangering any animal but at the same time what elce could be done?

(You know what the funny thing is? The Gold Coast (which is only an hours drive away) their dam is overflowing! And they are being encouraged to use as much water as possible whilst poor us are stuck with crisis point low water levels.)

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM

So they not going share any with ya's? Sorry to hear that btw.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 AM

We have a shortage here in Raleigh but it is not to the extent where wildlife is affected. We just can't water our plants but twice a week.
Are there any plans to improve that situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I took a lot of agricultural classes when I was in College and all of thems said that lack of water would be the primary threat to civilization in the 21st century.

Water is expensive in College Station and it is green!!! I would like the wildlife to be not harmed...but truth to be told, I would like my water to be more affordable and if it comes to choosing between a falcon and I, I guess I would choose my own survival first.

I think civilization is more important than wildlife, but there are numerous ways to build a dam with less damage to the ecosystem. It all depends on if the city is willing to hire a premier design team instead of constracting it out piecemeal to the lowest bidder.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Re: Water Shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyness
Which would be the best outcome, run out of water or threaten our wildlifes existance?

I myself am very much againt endangering any animal but at the same time what elce could be done?
Hi Jimmyness,

I feel compelled to reply to this because it is something that affects me every day.

We own a business that puts computer controls on water systems that provide water for irrgation for the Northern part of the Central Valley of California. We do most of our work for the US Dept. of the Interior/Bureau of Reclaimations which is a dirty word for most environmentalists.

Here I must say that I have been a environmentalists myself since the 1970's, and I thought it was wrong to dam up the rivers.....but I have come to the understanding that California would hardly be inhabital(at least not to the extent it is today) and agricultural in this country would not be what it is if they had not built these dams back in the 1930'3 and 1960's.

National Geographic's 1993 special edition about water addresses this by making it clear there isn't really a choice if California wants to be continue to grow and the people of this country and some parts of the rest of the world depend of the agriculture coming out of this area now.

When we first started work for the Bureau I felt some conflicts of interest because I had always believed in keeping the rivers free and putting the health of the environment and the wonderful creatures we share this planet with first. Now I feel like we are beyond that choice. Perhaps that sounds fatalistic..but I think it is realistic.

Not probably the answer most want to hear. It certainly took me awhile to accept, but the truth is we can't make it without this technology.

I am sure some may think this is wrong, but if they look at the facts, the growth plus the way our weather is changing, we don't have a choice anymore.

This year we got plenty of rainfall and snow, but the truth is there will never be enough to match the demand.

I don't know if it is the same in your area in Australia, but it sounds like you obviously need an additional source of water.

Most of the water for California comes from the sparcely populated mountains north of Sacramento, in winter and spring. But most of the urban and agricultural water usuage is in the south. It has caused lots of contention between the north and the south for many, many years. California just wouldn't be what it is today without the Dams built several decades ago.

It is just a fact of life here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 PM

we get water shortages here every year....starting about may. we arent allowed to water our gardens, wash our cars...we are limited to a load of laundry a day and only one dishwasher cycle. but then again our resevoirs have gotten so low that the bacteria on the bottom has caused eevryone to get sick...we had to spend hundreds per houshould to have reverse osmosis machines put in so we dont get sick again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:22 PM

It makes me sad that the cost of our comfort is other animal's lives. The animals were there first...why is our comfort more important than their lives?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Prints
It makes me sad that the cost of our comfort is other animal's lives. The animals were there first...why is our comfort more important than their lives?
We aren't really talking about comfort level at this point....We are talking about survival.

Why? Because we kept populating this planet and didn't address these problems back when it would have made a difference.

If you remember.....everyone was so anti-alternative back when some of us were trying to get people to think differently about how we treat this planet.

Heck, there are still a whole lot of people that think there is nothing wrong with the way we live here. Most people in fact, don't think there is even a problem.

Of course there have always been droughts. My parents were teenagers in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl. My Grandmother died of dust pneumonia.
Even they thought it would never really happen again and didn't really learn anything, except to improve their agricultural practices by rotating their crops. Which was some improvement, but it will take a lot more than that to solve the problem of providing enough water with all the growth that continues to happen.

So if it makes you sad ....... what are you doing to change it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Prints
We aren't really talking about comfort level at this point....We are talking about survival.
I know...I guess I still don't understand why our lives are more important than the animals' lives...I'm not saying I want people to die, don't get me wrong, just that humans are the ones overpopulating the earth. If there weren't so many of us, there wouldn't be as many animals kicked out of their homes so humans can live there instead.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Re: Water Shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyness
At the moment Brisbane is having a water crisis. Our dam is close to empty! We're on rather strict water usage restrictions because of this. We have been getting rain but it just seems to keep missing the dam. Well anyways, the government has decided to build another dam so we dont end up running out of water, the only problem is that if they put the dam in the area they're wanting to they will be potentually causeing many species to become endangered!

Krystle, I think that by that time, people would probably move out of Brisbane and go farther south where the climate is more temperate, most likely Sydney or maybe even Melbourne. Sure, you and your mates from the tropics may not like the cooler weather of Melbourne. But at least in more temperate climates, rainfall is better.

Quote:
(You know what the funny thing is? The Gold Coast (which is only an hours drive away) their dam is overflowing! And they are being encouraged to use as much water as possible whilst poor us are stuck with crisis point low water levels.)
I did some searching and it seems Brisbane has found themselves on a steadily declining water situation since the late 80s. When the trend became apparent, why didn't Brisbane negotiate a contract to purchase water from communities that have a large excess? I understand the city of Toowoomba is in an even worse water situation.

But I am curious, Krystle. Would you and your family ever consider moving out of Brisbane if the water crisis ever became extremely bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page