Maine Lobsters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Maine Lobsters

A few months ago there was a thread on lobsters and a few posters said you haven't lived until you've had a Maine lobster. That thread gave me a hankering to try one of those bad boys so I started calling all the finer dining establishments in my area and no, not a one of them served Maine lobster (I was soooo disappointed).

Well, a several weeks ago Red Lobster was advertising a lobster/shrimp/crab fest promotion on TV and the ad said they had Maine lobster. I didn't give it a second thought because surely they couldn't really have Maine lobster when fine dining places didn't have them, right?

In the meantime I just bought some frozen tails at Meijers and sure enough they tasted just like everyother lobster I've had in my life. In a word.........completely bland and tastless. The only part that tastes good is the margarine (can't stand butter, myself) and lemon.

So, I keep seeing that commercial on TV and it's making me drool it looks so good, and I just suddenly decided to call my local Red Lobster & ask about it. The lady said, yes, they had a plate with a 5 oz. Maine + a 6 oz.
Rock lobster.

I ordered it "carry out" because, as I stated before, I hate real butter (because it upsets my stomach) and Red Lobster doesn't serve margarine as an alternative. They wrapped it up really good & everything was still warm by the time I got home (10 minute ride).

OK, I bring it home & I eat the Maine one first. Oh.....My.....Gawd! It was absolutely DEVINE!! It was actually sweet (I had no idea!), almost like how a really good snow crab can be sweet. I then ate the Rock tail and yes, I wanted to spit it out.....it was so tasteless.

So, I'm forever ruined now. I can NEVER go back to those other
lobsters.

BTW I was chatting with the server & she said you can order a 20 oz. Maine for..........$60 and guess who's starting a jelly jar of spare $'s for that very purpose? ...........Hey, I'm worth it .

And THAT'S the end of my lobster tale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Senior Cat

Oh yes, Maine lobsters are the best. Personally, I find Red Lobster to be the Walmart of seafood restaurants. (Sorry if I offend anyone here!) If you liked the one from Red Lobster, you'll LOVE a Maine lobster in a fine seafood restaurant anywhere on the New England coast.

I'm spoiled. I lived in Boston for a while and get out there quite a bit still. They have some of the best seafood, including real clam chowdah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Ive tryed lobster once before (because on the Nanny they where always obsessed with lobster so i was like 'hmm must be good ill give it a go') but i didnt find it very nice at all, didnt have much of a taste. Im very much a crab person myself.

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM

I don't know what kind of lobster they have in the Caribbean, but I was always a so-so lobster person until I had grilled lobster in the Virgin Islands... it was unbelievable!!! Just a little low-key outdoors restaurant with a big chalkboard of available lobsters listed by size, and when you picked which one you wanted, they crossed it off and tossed it on the giant grill. Mmmmm.... must go find some dinner now... definitely isn't going to be lobster, though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelightsj
I don't know what kind of lobster they have in the Caribbean, but I was always a so-so lobster person until I had grilled lobster in the Virgin Islands... it was unbelievable!!! Just a little low-key outdoors restaurant with a big chalkboard of available lobsters listed by size, and when you picked which one you wanted, they crossed it off and tossed it on the giant grill. Mmmmm.... must go find some dinner now... definitely isn't going to be lobster, though.
That would have been an Anegada lobster. Anegada lobsters have no claws. If you are ever in the BVI again you must visit the island for a day trip. I highly recommend Loblolly Bay and visit The Big Bamboo. You only have to walkout about 20 feet into the ocean and there are lobster pots with 15 pound lobsters just waiting to be your dinner. I am not joking about the size of the lobster. Another place to have a teriffic lobster dinner is the Anegada Reef Hotel. After eating a caribbean lobster Maine lobsters are just fish bait.
In regards to crab, nothing can touch a Maryland blueclaw crab.

Shari
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Which of the virgin islands have you been to? My DH and I honeymooned at St. John (U.S. Virgin Islands) and we fell in love with the place.
I don't like seafood though...have never tried lobster.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Yum yum!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty&Lou
Oh yes, Maine lobsters are the best. Personally, I find Red Lobster to be the Walmart of seafood restaurants. (Sorry if I offend anyone here!) If you liked the one from Red Lobster, you'll LOVE a Maine lobster in a fine seafood restaurant anywhere on the New England coast.

I'm spoiled. I lived in Boston for a while and get out there quite a bit still. They have some of the best seafood, including real clam chowdah!
Why must you tempt me so!!! I live in the middle of Texas.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlanon
Quote:
Which of the virgin islands have you been to? My DH and I honeymooned at St. John (U.S. Virgin Islands) and we fell in love with the place.
I don't like seafood though...have never tried lobster.
St. John for me too!! My parents just bought a place there, but the flights are so expensive I can't imagine I'll be able to go down too often. But I know exactly how you feel when you say you fell in love... there is something so laidback and unassuming about St. John compared with the larger, more touristy St. Thomas. The grilled lobster I was talking about was at the Lime Inn... but there are SO many other great restaurants down there too!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
St. John for me too!! My parents just bought a place there, but the flights are so expensive I can't imagine I'll be able to go down too often. But I know exactly how you feel when you say you fell in love... there is something so laidback and unassuming about St. John compared with the larger, more touristy St. Thomas. The grilled lobster I was talking about was at the Lime Inn... but there are SO many other great restaurants down there too!
We'd love to go back, but between the flights and the villas, it is pretty pricey. Although we stayed at a villa that was priced pretty reasonably.
Are your parents going to live there or just use it as a vacation home?
You know, they could always rent out their villa at reasonable rates to cat lovers like myself.
Are you the one was talking about the kitties of St. John in another thread (post pictures of cats other than your own)? Those cats made the vacation even nicer! I felt bad for them, but they seem to be taken better care of there than most places here.
Okay, so this isn't a total hijack of the thread...I would be willing to try lobster just as long as someone tells me that it's not "fishy" like most other seafood. Is it?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page