Shingles - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
MA

Shingles

Hello all: Its been awhile for me. I pop in now and then to read. So much news. A year ago I wrote that I got a job in San Francisco which is an hour commute (with no traffic). Well I'm still at the job and full time but in the meantime the work got crazy because of the influx of new business and I was working 10-12 hours on some days and weekends just to push contracts out for the paralegals. It all caught up with me and I came down with the Shingles and have been off work for 2 weeks so far. Before that I had not even been out sick with a cold or flue the entire time I've been there. Well I learned alot about Shingles while I've been home but it was basically brought on by STRESS. It's a dormant chicken pox virus that settles in the nerves. The rash and blisters are something I could handle but the pain is so bad that vicodin was not enough.

Has anyone had this? Or do you know of anyone? No one in my family nor my husband's family even had such a thing. I'm interested in hearing about recovery time too. I heard the pain can still last up to a month to a year long after the blisters and rash are gone.

Thank you in advance for your responses and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM

My grandmother got shingles about 6 months ago, it was pretty mild so didn't bother her too much except for it affected her eye which caused some temporary vision problems, tearing, swelling, etc. After about 3-5 she was "better". I don't think that she's had a reoccurance. Hope you feel better soon!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:52 PM

My BIL caught it about 8 weeks ago and he was in a lot of pain for a month, although the pain intensity varies a lot during the day, and of course it was always the worst at night. He had the blisters on his back, neck and even into his scalp. It took a long time for his blisters to crust over.

Not much else to say about it except there's nothing to done for it except wait it out. And yes, in some cases it can take over a year to fully recover.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones and get over it sooner rather than later.

P.S. A 2 hour commute every day! OMG, what do you spend on gas in a normal week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
MA, I'm so glad to see you! However, shingles are a terribly painful problem, I know. I had only ONE. It was at my waist, and the pain was so intense. When I saw that it was only one little spot, I couldn't believe such a thing could hurt as much as it did. Please do cut down on the stress, if you can. Please visit more. You're missed.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Working with lawyers can be incredibly stressful. I know that because my MIL works for one. She had repeatedly told her children not to go to law school.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
My BIL caught it about 8 weeks ago and he was in a lot of pain for a month, although the pain intensity varies a lot during the day, and of course it was always the worst at night. He had the blisters on his back, neck and even into his scalp. It took a long time for his blisters to crust over.

Not much else to say about it except there's nothing to done for it except wait it out. And yes, in some cases it can take over a year to fully recover.

P.S. A 2 hour commute every day! OMG, what do you spend on gas in a normal week?
I vanpool and it costs me $120/mo which includes bridge toll so its a pretty good deal except if anyone gets sick at work you're kind of stuck. Also it takes longer just to get on the road because we have to make 3 stops to pick up other people. So if I leave at 4:30 to catch the van and it takes about 20 minutes to go around and pick up up at 3 other stops. Also there were many of times I had to drive in to work late or weekends. So I'm not sure if I am really saving any money - ha!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
MA

Thank you all for your well wishes and input. Looks like it really varies. I had the rashes on my chest and back but the nerve pain is what is so painful. I plan on going back to work this Monday and am really, really dreading it.

Shengmei: Your MIL is so right about working with the legal eagles (laywers)
Pookie769: Although I think I'm on the mend, Oh yes the pain occurs more at night
Laudin: I'm glad your grandmother is doing better. That is very risky when it the shingles affects the eye
Jeannie: So you had it too?! Miss you lots. Thank you for your support

Thanks again all. I think I better look at changing jobs closer to home. The commute may be adding to the stress.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769

I vanpool and it costs me $120/mo which includes bridge toll so its a pretty good deal except if anyone gets sick at work you're kind of stuck. Also it takes longer just to get on the road because we have to make 3 stops to pick up other people. So if I leave at 4:30 to catch the van and it takes about 20 minutes to go around and pick up up at 3 other stops. Also there were many of times I had to drive in to work late or weekends. So I'm not sure if I am really saving any money - ha!

I used to vanpool too when I worked in Chicago and it was about an hours ride also! My last vanpool cost $115 a month but I've paid as much as $145 in other pools.

My vans would only have one pickup point in my hometown in Indiana, where all the riders would meet up in the mornings. I was always on one of those 15 passenger vans (yeah, the ones that "tip" over) and everyone worked at different places in Chicago. The vans made various stops to drop off because several people worked clear across town from one another. The vans would try to get you as close to your building as possible but logistically (and timewise) they couldn't drop off 15 people in front of their individual buildings. This always meant there was a "walk" involved.

One time the van I rode was so far from my job I had to walk 3 blocks after I got off the van (and those are "city" blocks now) and then hop a bus to my building.

The vans always had 3 or 4 regular drivers so someone being sick or on vacation was never a problem.

Don't work there anymore and I sure don't miss those 12 hour days either.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Cat

My uncle had shingles and boy was it nasty! My only recommendation is to take the pain meds they gave you and try to relax since they are brought on by stress. I don't remember how long he had it because I was pretty young at the time, but I remember how miserable he was.

Hope you feel better soon hun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 AM

My mom had it about 6 months ago and my boss just came down with it this weekend along with a UTI.

It is weird how UTI's and shingles have been popping up a lot lately. It almost makes it sound contagious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page