Tea party question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Tea party question

As I've mentioned, I'm hosting a tea party this weekend in honor of my friend and her expected arrival.

My original plan was to host an intimate old-fashioned tea party - proper serving, etiquette, conversation, etc. However, the guest list got out of hand and now I'm expecting 30 or so women. Now I will be having the women serve themselves food and drink. I'm also providing flavored iced tea as I know not everyone will want hot tea.

Since the party is large, I have to use disposable items - cups, napkins, plates, etc. How tacky is it for me to have to use paper/styrofoam cups for the hot tea? I just can't find any other option, and there's no way I can round up enough china for teacups and saucers. I have serving ware for the cubed sugar, lemons, milk, etc., but I feel the disposable ware will be out of place and unuitable.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this, but I was really trying for an elegant little affair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
There is a brand called Diamond Signature Series that have disposable servingware that looks non-disposable.

I think 30 people is a bit much for a tea party.

Surely you can find someone to borrow or rent dinnerware from? Hot water should not go into styrofoam containers, because it can leak formaldehyde.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Cat

yeah, there's plastic serving/tea things out there that's disposable. but if you want to make it 'cute' and still use paper cups for hot liquid, print out a bunch of pictures of teacups and glue them to the sides of the cups. it's crafty and people will be able to find their cup if it's put down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 PM

I know this is kind of short notice, but maybe you could go to thrift stores and by cheap teacups and saucers. The ladies could take them home as a favor. You could probably get them as cheap as 50 cents a set, so that would be about $15 total. Some places might sell them even cheaper.
--Zanni
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If you could get some inexpensive tea sets, it would be lovely, An intimate tea party would be much easier, but I'm sure you'll do a good job, and make it a special day. Don't forget the scones and jam! They're a big hit, and easy to make.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Scones and JAM......*drools*.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm pleased with the menu!

Ham rollups, cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad, orange scones, cherry pastries, fresh fruit, mini cheesecakes, mini puff pastries. Mmmm....

I'm going to try the thrift store thing; it's an idea I'd thought of before, but I'm just not sure how it will work out time-wise. I'll also look for the Diamond Signature Series as a backup.

Thanks to all for the advice. I know 30 is too much for a real tea party, but that's what happens when you are nice and ask the baby's grandmas if they would like to invite a friend. Believe it or not, but I ended up have to send out 53 invitations (I had planned on 12-15 attending when I came up with the tea party idea). Thankfully, not everyone can make it as this party is tough on my wallet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Premier Cat

Mmmm, that sounds yummy!! Can we come?
Sounds like you have enough on the menu already but, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry Profitteralls (no idea of the spelling! ) in there frozen dessert section. They are puff pastries filled with ice cream and come with a chocolate sauce, which you heat up and dip them in. I've served them a few times and they were a huge hit.
We also have some places here, like dollar stores or overstock stores, where you can pick up really cheap china and utensils. Maybe there's something like that there?
Have a great time!

Victoria
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The menu sounds great. I know this must cost a fortune. I had a tea for only five people, and I made everything except the very fancy cakes (the bakery was out of tarts), and it cost a fortune! I could have made dinner for 10 with that amount of money. One idea you might like for another time is strawberries and cream. I also cut the sandwiches with a cookie cutter, so I had very fancy little sandwiches. And I used my mother's Blue Willow china!

We intended to do this more often, but noone else took a turn. Maybe I'll do it again. We had a wonderful time, and the men only came through occasionally! We made sure they were well fed, but our tea party was for "ladies only!"

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Premier Cat

Could you clarify what you mean by 'expected arrival'? If a friend is arriving from out of town, possibly someone you haven't seen in a while,well, don't worry TOO MUCH about cups and silver. What's important is the time you share talking,enjoying one another's company. If,on the other hand you mean your friend's EXPECTING,of course you want elegance to celebrate. If you're in a fix financially,don't frown on garage sales. You'll be AMAZED at what you find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page