Fostering - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to ericalynn429
Fostering

Has anyone fostered Speacial needs kittens? Is it complicated. I came acorss this picture on petfinder and it just made me melt.

Im guessing that it is very time consuming on some cases, but this is something id love to do!!! Also, i think that with a special needs animal, you grow more of a bound to that animal rather than a "normal" animal because they depend on you and love you and are greatful for what you are doing for them. I think id end up unable to give them away.

Also, is this something i should worry about, having 2 kittens of my own and them not being used to soft playing and such?

Opinions..

Oh and i wasnt sure where to post this...

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 AM

No experience with it, but what a beautiful kitten! Is it just her paw that is 'special'? What a wonderful idea. If I had more time, and didn't have two very needy cats, I would certainly consider it. I hope you find the answers you need.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat

well this is what her description says

"Notes: Meet one of our youngest member of Angels of Animals, "Emma". Emma came to us at just two weeks of age- completely dehydrated, weak & suffering from burns on her legs. She spent the first three days at the emergency clinic where she fought to live. She is now 5 weeks old and doing well. But the injuries to her legs were quite severe and now her legs are deformed. She may need constructive bone surgery to correct them. We need to raise money to pay her extensive medical bills. If you would like to sponsor little Emma or interested in adoption please contact us or send your donation via PAYPAL. Thank you all for supporting this little angel".

Im hoping i do have time for it eventually. Right now i know i dont, and i am waiting for my 2 to get a little older. When their spayed and such..

Thanks though

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:51 AM

Could I have a link to that page? I want to donate! Poor kitty...she's so beautiful...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Cat

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action ... mpl=&stat=

She is!!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the link...who could resist her face?

I can't stand the heartless people who call special needs animals ugly Chester (an earlier cat of mine) had a bald spot on his shoulders from surgery, and was older and thinner, and a guy fixing pipes in teh bathroom looked at him and said "What an ugly cat!"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 05:46 AM

oh, wow, that brings back painful memories.
The reason I came to this forum was a little kitten with club foot like the one in your picture. I named him Little Mo. As it turned out the club foot wasn't his only handicap. He died in my arms after purely looking like he was fading away. He probably had numerous internal malfunctions in additition to what the eye could see.
We adopted Frosty, in his memory. They were littermates and were found together. I was going to adopt Little Mo and find Frosty a home. I had Little Mo in the room with me so I could monitor him closely, while Frosty was in a different cage in the garage, so he wouldn't bother LM. There was a huge difference between them from the start. Not just the handicap, but Frosty was extremely energetic while LM would barely move.. When we took them to the vet Little Mo weighed 7 oz and Frosty 13..The thermometer never read any temperature on LM'S body.
When I look at Frosty's white fur stained with light brown on the back I think of him; he had that beautiful light color and clean blue eyes. He was a brave little fighter. I named him after GeroniMO.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Aww, how sweet...I just want to hug that little kitty.

We found Tinkerbell, our first kitten, abandoned at two weeks old by her mom, covered in fleas. We took her and took care of her, knowing NOTHING about cats. She wasn't special needs but she was a special situation in our case...and we have such a close bond with her. I bond with all my cats...but she'll always be our amazing little angel.

I would love to foster, but I have no time at this point. I think I would get too attached, too...I'd be worried about not being able to give he/she up when I was done. When I'm in a more stable situation I have definitely thought about looking into it...so I'm interested to hear how your experiences go if you decide to do it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:37 PM

I went to their website...Emma had surgery on her legs and is doing well!!

and did you see the little guy "Wally"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page