baby help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

baby help

what can i try besides mylicon drops for infant gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? If breastfeeding, it would be my guess that there is possibly something in your diet that is transferring to the baby's milk. A lot of foods do that and so do most drugs, over-the-counter or prescription. If you are breastfeeding and there is something that you can think of that you recently ate that would tend to be a little hard for an infant tummy to handle (spicy foods, anything with onions) then just try to stay away from those food items as long as you are breastfeeding.

If you're bottle feeding, it could be an issue of the baby needing a different formula. How old is your baby now? Some babies become lactose intolerant and, therefore, need a soy formula. Some babies, for whatever reason, just can't handle certain milks so it becomes a guessing game of which one to try next.

These are just a few tips I can think of but you really should probably talk to the pediatrician or his/her nurse to see if they have any ideas.

ETA: Sometimes there really just isn't a clear answer as to why he/she gets gas. My son had it bad for a couple of months. I bottle fed and his pediatrician figured that he was tolerating the milk just fine because he didn't throw it up (unless he ate too much at one time) and didn't get diarrhea from it or anything. Therefore, we never did change formulas on him. We just dealt with the gas, using Mylicon drops to soothe it; sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:07 PM

If you are bottle feeding, sometimes changing to a different type of nipple can help, as sometimes they can take in too much air when nursing.

My daughter had colic and horrible gas for her first three months; there wasn't anything we could do for her, but she thankfully outgrew it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Re: baby help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy03
what can i try besides mylicon drops for infant gas?
MMM...probiotics? I just read an article on the Delicious Living magazine that probiotics could help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Two of my babies had colic that lasted five hours. Five hours of nonstop screaming! I was exhausted, and my heart broke for the baby. One night I stayed up all night to "protect" my baby boy! Of course, that made no sense. He had fallen asleep, finally.

We used a baby hot water bottle with the air removed, of course, and walked and patted the baby's back and bottom to comfort him. Then we put him on the warm hot water bottle and laid him on his tummy, and continued to pat. Poor baby, and very tired parents.

Finally, I was sure something terrible was wrong. The night after I stayed up I took him to the doctor. I was nursing him, but I did not eat gasy foods or chocolate--nothing that would give him gas. However, it was definitely colic. The doctor prescribed drops and all was well! Don't think you're being silly. If the baby's colic is bad, call the doctor. If you have to go in for an appointment, it's worth the money. It will ease his pain and ease your mind. Sometimes their little digestive systems are not able to digest food as well as we would hope. Good luck, Kristy!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page