Do we relly need vitamin pills for cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Do we relly need vitamin pills for cat?

For example a product Nucat? If we make our own little recipes do we really need them? I have a 4 years old female tabby cat and just started making my own little recipes.Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Do we relly need vitamin pills for cat?

I know Wysong makes multivitamins for cats, as for cats actually needing them Im not too sure. But, since you do make your own recipes, you need to be 100% sure that the cat is getting all the nutrients and vitamins it needs from the food. Maybe take kitty to the vet and get a blood test to see if he's low in anything? That's the best answer I can give, sorry lol.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Tom Cat

Good chance OP is gone and won't see this but I'll post for anyone else looking for an answer. If your well versed in raw food then you really don't need any vitamins unless you can't find a particular item and need to supplement it. If you make a cooked food then you would need to add a pet multi vitamin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Cat

I believe cats, like humans, that eat a complete and balanced meal don't need vitamins.

However, if your cat is kinda picky (like mine!) and doesn't always eat a full meal everyday (or if what you feed him isn't complete and balanced), then I like to supplement a bit to make sure he's getting enough of the stuff he needs. For this reason, I like Vitakitty treats. It's not a multi-vitamin, but it does give some extra vitamin A & E, and contains flaxseed which has Omega 3's and Vitamin B and a bunch of other good nutrients/minerals (calcium, thiamine) that are good for cats. Do not give too many in a day (there are recommended serving sizes listed on the package), as vitamin A is fat-soluble and toxic at high levels -- but one or two a day is fine, especially when he's being finicky about his food!

In doing some research online, I found a product called "Kitzyme Conditioning Tablets" -- it seems to be a vitamin product sold in the UK for cats, marketed as a cat multi-vitamin/dietary supplement. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about it, and I can't seem to find a list of ingredients anywhere. It doesn't look like it's sold in the U.S.

One VERY important ingredient cats need is Taurine. Raw chicken hearts are a great source of taurine. I like to give Tonka chicken hearts a couple times a week, chopped up in his wet food he doesn't know the difference!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Kitten

Artificial vitamins have their drawbacks, too. I feed wit a variety of foods and my cats have no health problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Jr. Cat

Taurine is important and a supplement for your cat(s) should always contain Taurine. Unlike dogs who can manufacture their own Taurine, cats cannot. Brains are a great source of taurine (and why cats like to deliver us headless mice), but chicken heart also contains this vital nutrient. Without this, at about 12 years of age, the cat will suffer eye deterioration and/or cardiac problems. I would include a supplement in their food that contains this vital nutrient!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Please don't resurrect 2 year old threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page