Question for those who feed home cooked chicken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Question for those who feed home cooked chicken

I am trying to add home cook chicken to ET's diet twice a week, at least he gets some chicken fit for human consumption and something without all the unnecessary ingredients in canned food, for a change.

I bought 2pcs chicken thigh, used 1 pcs and cook in 300ml water with 3 cherry tomatoes, some pumpkin. Remove bone, and blend with a whole cooked egg + 1/2tbs of olive oil. ET not eating.

Did a 2nd batch immediately, cook the same way with just chicken and 3 cherry tomatoe and then blend. Still not eating. Added kibbles like I did when I feed canned food, but still to no avail, he just won't eat, so I added into canned food, he eats ok.

I had wanted him to eat the home cooked chicken as a meal, so my question is, do you add anything tasty to entice your kitty to eat? or does your kitty just eat the chicken without any addition? or do you add something like multi vitamins meant for cats which are tasty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Cat Addict

Seems strange, most cats I know love any real meat. If you cook it without any tomatoes, do you get the same result? Maybe he doesn't like the smell of tomatoes... cats work largely on smell. I wouldn't add any vitamins, because I wouldn't know what I'm doing and don't really like self-medication when it's a different species that may require different vitamin amounts than humans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Ya, I found it strange too. I have heard cats will eat cooked chicken breast plain. Will try to cook without tomatoe next time. Its just 3 very small cherry tomatoe, really make that much of a difference? anyway, will try without it the next round. Do you add salt at all, so its tastier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Cat Addict

I do it plain if I'm boiling although they still eat it if I add a few herbs.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Cat Addict

i cook the chicken to make cat food, and i don't add anything because i don't know what kind of herbs make it taste better to cats. two of my cats love it, and one won't go near it unless i mix it with some fishy cat food (i give him some mideast feast mixed with it) or sprinkle bonito flakes on it.

my middle cat loves it no matter what. the first time i made it, he wanted me to burn my fingers getting it off the bone lol. i just bought a family pack of thighs still attached to the drumsticks. i've heard that cats like dark meat better than white because it has more fat.

adding salt probably won't make any difference. most cat food is really bland. i know they add some salt to it but honestly, i don't think that cats' sense of taste is the same as ours.

try leaving out everything and see what happens. just steam it (or broil it--i steam it, blanche it, whatever you call it, then debone and skin it but i use all the juice left in the pot. i added gelatin before, but last time i made it, i left it out just to see. they might even like it more because it's pieces of chicken in soup, kind of.

if he still won't eat it, try some tuna juice or parmesan cheese, i guess. i have flavored some of it with lamb or ham flavored baby food, not a lot, just to change it up some. or you could try turkey. it's said that because it's stronger smelling that some cats prefer it. my cats also love bacon. i made them some bacon and egg cat food with bone meal and taurine and all the vitamins. i have to make that fresh though, i don't think it would taste the same if i froze it like the rest. i can't really tell if the cats love it because they've never had meat before (well cat food, but i've never cooked any meat for myself) (once baci begged for seitan, and then ate some of it like he was embarrassed that he thought it was meat) or if they just like it. the two older ones will eat raw chicken hearts and gizzards, houdini will have none of it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Premier Cat

I roast turkey legs and thighs in some water and grind up the meat with an inexpensive grinder I bought on Amazon. I used to add egg but they won't eat it so I just give them the ground turkey now. Sometimes I will saute chicken tenderloins and they LOVE that! Only 2 of the 4 canned food eaters will eat the turkey while 4 out of 4 love the tenderloins. Why add tomatoes? Just curious.
also, I do not add salt or anything else. Just roast the legs/thighs, grind up, return to broth, mix and serve. I make a huge batch then divide it into freezer containers for future use.

Here is the meat grinder:

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 03-02-2013 at 04:01 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hi, thanks for input. Look like ET has gotton finicky after boarding. He isn't even eating his usual canned. Now, 1 5.5oz canned will take more than 3days to finish cos I can only give approx 2tsp of wet and top up with 2tbs of kibbles and not 2-6 kibbles like before, before he will even eat. Initially I thought he wasn't feeling well or had hairball problem, but after a test with just kibbles, I realised he was just finicky, he finished all the kibbles I gave. Now, I will have a hard time trying to get him back to eating 100% wet which he was on before boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
if he still won't eat it, try some tuna juice or parmesan cheese
How do cheese? shredded and put on top of chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I roast turkey legs and thighs. Why add tomatoes? [/url]
I can't find raw turkey at supermarket here in Sg. I added tomatoes cos, there's this wet food brand without carrageenan that had tomatoe and chicken drumstick and ET was eating it, just that he gets vomitting eating brands from Thailand with chicken. So thought I will cook it instead. I am really keen on home cook, so I can at least stay away from carrageenan and guar gum in canned food, for some days.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Cat

Im feeding raw chicken, mostly grounded breast and gizzards. What i noticed my older wont touch anything from cheap stores like walmart. But he loves the ones I buy at farmers market like trader joes. Maybe chicken smells funny or taste something what cats dont like. Same with fish and cheese. I tried giving cheese packaged and he wouldnt touch but organic eats just fine.

Gosha - shy 5 y.o. Rasta - vicious kitten
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I can't feed raw as ET is FIV+, even if everybody says its ok to feed FIV+ kitties raw, I wouldn't try. I might just buy some bonito flakes and cheese to try topping up cooked chicken to see if he will eat, I really hope he eats.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
How do cheese? shredded and put on top of chicken?
i just buy kraft in the container to give the cats. the stuff i eat if i buy parmesan cheese is pretty expensive, but yeah, if you want to use that kind, just grate it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post

. . . just that he gets vomitting eating brands from Thailand with chicken. So thought I will cook it instead. I am really keen on home cook, so I can at least stay away from carrageenan and guar gum in canned food, for some days.
interesting. my cats have never been sensitive to the paw lickin' chicken which is weruva but at first they used to like the tiki cat napili luau so much they would inhale it and then throw up. i shouldn't say used to, they still love it but i am more savvy at how much to give them or to mix it with some wellness or something.

i think it's nice to make your own cat food too, especially since you can't go into any of the factories and see exactly what they're doing and putting in it. not to mention you can make excellent quality food at a much lower price than .50 an ounce.

have you tried bacon and egg cat food yet? my cats really like it. you can also put cottage cheese in it, or plain live culture yogurt. if you want it to be a little thicker you can use corn starch to thicken it, but my cats are fine with the soupiness. bonito flakes are so handy, and i'm always on the lookout for new flavor enhancers that are safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page