catnip - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

catnip

we got our cat some catnip. she don't seem to like it. maybe we mixed in too much of it in with her can food. i thought cat's liked catnip. anyway, do any of you know how much of it to give her and how to give t to her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Premier Cat

Some cats do not react to catnip but there are some out there that go crazy for it. Alot of times kittens do not react to it but later as an adult will like it. I believe a good amount in food would be a small teaspoonful or less depending on the cat and I heard a little bit eaten by a cat is good for them. I really only use it after I wash their beds and they don't want to jump in it b/c it smells like detergent then I sprinkle a little catnip and it works.
(((=
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to Gracie's Mom
I don't really measure how much, I just give a little pinch in their food as a treat occasionally. I also sprinkle it on my carpet, and Gracie goes crazy rolling all over the living room!

Momma to Sophie and Harley the Ragdolls
Also owned by 5 Italian Greyhounds and 2 ferrets
Missing my beautiful babies Gracie and Sheba across the bridge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

You mix the catnip in their food? I've never heard of that. Anyway, not all cats react to catnip. Actuarally, many cats never react to catnip. However, my cats loves catnip. They go absolutely mad when they sense the smell of catnip
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Cat

Holly loves her nip- to play with. She bites and licks her cat nippy toys but I've gotten her food treats that contain nip and she won't have anything to do with them. She seems to be confused, " do I eat it or play with it!"

"A cat's got her own opinion of human beings, she don't say much, but you can tell enough to make you anxious not to hear the whole of it"

Jerome K. Jerome
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

thanx, we mixed in a little bit less and she seems to like it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Cat Addict

catnip

Hi,

The ability to respond to catnip is genetic. About 30% of cats do not have the gene.

Also, if you give catnip too often (more than once or twice a week), even responders will accommodate to it and no longer be able to get a "kick" from it. I use a pinch of catnip on the scratching posts only as an occasional treat--I have 100% responders in my group of 5!

I would not recommend mixing catnip with food, because it takes the choice away from the cat. If he wants to eat at all, he is forced to eat the catnip. Believe me, if he really wants it, he'll come and get it--no matter where you put it!

BTW, please NEVER give catnip before a trip to the vet! It makes the cat unpredictable, and many cats will become aggressive--not what your vet wants to see! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Kitten

welllll

not all cat's like catnip. some are different..

Cats are like humans, only they have fur!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Premier Cat

My kittens when they were around 3 months didnt react to it at all. Last week they turned 6 months old so i tried it out again. What a reaction! it was terrible! vienna (about 1 and half years old) went to it first, pebbles (14 years) gave it a sniff and they both started rubbing them selves into it. Well then the kittens (screech, smeagle and butch) had to come over, well all **** broke loose! vienna went off, pebbles is miserable anyway and she went off. Those 3 broke out into a huge fight! they all went nuts over the cat nip rubbing themselves in it, but if any went near the other they went into an enourmouse fight! i couldnt beleive it when i saw it!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
I have never heard of catnip being GOOD for a cat...everything I've read about basically comes to the same conclusion -- no one really knows what it does to their brain. It has a chemical in it that causes some cats to react as if they have taken a stimulant. I forgot the name of the chemical, but basically that is all I have found about it. I personally don't like the idea of giving my cats something which the effect or impact on a cat's brain is unknown. And their reactions are similar to a person who has just taken drugs. So...I don't really like catnip. But I have used it on their scratching posts to get them acquainted with them - as well as their cat hammock. It worked really well, but I don't really want to use it other than that until it can be proven that it is NOT harmful to a cat's brain.

It doesn't sound like your cat really likes the catnip in the food if he/she will only eat it if you put a tiny amount in there. I'd put it somewhere else -- not right in the food. What drjean said made a lot of sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page