Thinking about switching to raw food diet... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to 22Raiynee22 Send a message via Yahoo to 22Raiynee22
Thinking about switching to raw food diet...

I've read up on the raw rood diets, about what to feed ect. and i figured out it's much cheaper then buying the canned food i would buy. I figured out which food to feed him but there's a couple issues....

1)He's had UTI and i was wondering would a raw food diet help prevent it?

2)I don't know which supplements to give him...he's only about 3 years old and the only problems i kno that he's ever had was UTI, any idea which supplements i should use? which supplements does everyone else use?

3)how do i get him to eat it/ how do i make the transition between dry food to raw food

Any stories anyone else has with feeding raw food?

Thankz in advance!

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabulously made by ForJazz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Feeding homemade raw food will definately be cheaper than buying high quality canned food. I've fed my cats homemade for about a year and I have bo regrets, their in great shape!

1)He's had UTI and i was wondering would a raw food diet help prevent it? I would think any moist food prevents UTI. Check with Dr. Jean if you're worried.

2)I don't know which supplements to give him...he's only about 3 years old and the only problems i kno that he's ever had was UTI, any idea which supplements i should use? which supplements does everyone else use? I only supplement with iodine, fish oil and calcium (when I don't feed bones which today isn't often). The minerals and vitamines needed are all present in the food, if you balance it right with the proper amounts of muscle meat, organs, bones and veggies (if you include veggies, not everyone do that).

3)how do i get him to eat it/ how do i make the transition between dry food to raw food This one is tricky. Some cats instantly love raw food and some don't. It took me about two days to make a total switch from dry food to homemade for the younger ones but it took me a month to make the switch complete for the oldest one. I had to trick her with tuna water and crushed dry food to make her even remotely interested in the homemade stuff. Today she eats everything, so it was a total success. You'll have to find your own way to make the switch. Maybe there won't even be a problem introducing the new food.

Don't forget variety. Feed different kinds of meat, organs and veggies. This way you'll prevent the cat from eating to much or to little of something. At this site you'll find many links regarding homemade catfood and feline nutrition: http://www.cat-world.com.au/Nutrition.htm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:40 AM
kim
Jr. Cat

check out the variety of raw feeding threads that have been posted on for the past few days - i think a lot of the questions may be addressed there- there are many links about changing cats over to raw feeding - and a lot of it would depend on what youa re attempting to feed. i gave my opinion on supplements in another thread as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thankz to both, that's helped out a lot! i gave my kittie a little bit of raw hamberg and he ate it( it wasn't much tho lol like half a teaspoon) along with his dry food. Thankz again!

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Cat

I have been doing some raw food research (how I ended up here) and found this page to be quite informative & helpful.

http://www.pet-grub.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

raw food diet

ahh! that's great information. thanks a ton Hopefully you also find the information you need

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Cat Addict

I'm planning to switch to raw diet too. I will take a look at the web sites you guys posted here.

-eva-

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Cat Addict

I switched! First, I used to prepare the meat by myself but then....it became really difficult and I did lot of research and started buying frozen raw meat, already made for the cats. I found a really good company, with good price and I'm spending almost the same money as before when I was buying cans.

-eva-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page