Grinding bones as food supplement - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Grinding bones as food supplement

I remember this from someplace but maybe I'm all mistaken; could a person grind uncooked beef or pork bones to sprinkle on cat food as a supplement?, I think bird bones & small ones are not recommended as they break easily in large pieces that could choke the cat or those were cooked bones (They eat birds sometimes, don't they? or cats teeth and jaws are better than a hand grinder [probably]) Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 03:40 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

When I make catfood I grind chicken or duck (bones, skin, meat) so sure you can grind raw bones and supplement with. I feed my cats whole bones to (for an example chicken and turkey necks and wings). There's always a risk that the cat chokes on the bones so if you're not sure about feedingg whole bones, don't. Chunks of raw meat are almost as good exercise for the jaws and teeth as bones.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Cat Addict

I don't have a grinder so I'm not able to grind the bones. Instead of that, I give them grinded egg shell - that gives them calcium.

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
mmm.....don't all canned foods have ground bones in them???
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Cat

i realise that this is an old post, but i am wondering why anyone would want to suppliment a catfood with additional calcium. if a person is feeding a commercial cat food, wouldnt this throw the calcium: phosporus ratio out of balance? and if this person is feeding homemade, if the food did not already have a calcium source like bones it would be unbalanced as well...

or do cats process calcium differently than dogs? i know much more about dogfood than catfood, i am trying to educate myself and this post threw me off a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
mmm.....don't all canned foods have ground bones in them???
of course not, that would be way to expensive. They have things like Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Panthothenate , Calcium Iodate, and Calcium Lactate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Jr. Cat

Just an extra note: I would never give pork bones, pork is unhealthy for cats, it can cause Aujeszky disease

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page