anyone have any good recipes for me to do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

anyone have any good recipes for me to do?

hi, im new to the keeping cats thingy, as my girls were 'found'

i never thought of feeding them anything but cat food and fish, and i want to make life good for them, so is there anything else they'd like to eat?

thankyou

kaos & Aeris' Mum n Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: anyone have any good recipes for me to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby69
hi, im new to the keeping cats thingy, as my girls were 'found'

i never thought of feeding them anything but cat food and fish, and i want to make life good for them, so is there anything else they'd like to eat?

thankyou
dont feed them fish, except on occasion. If you want to make life good for them, research raw food and let them eat what they were designed to eat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Senior Cat

It takes a lot of research to provide a balanced homemade diet for a cat. If you want to do that more power to you. But I prefer to supplement my cats diets with fresh food treats. You could give your cats as a treat:

cooked meat, poultry, or fish
a teaspoon of yogurt or cottage cheese
scrambled egg or cooked egg yolk
filet mignon served rare or cooked whatever your cat prefers
A small amount of cooked veggies or oat meal
Lactose free milk or a special cat milk

Just think healthy, unseasoned, unspiced food. No onions, garlic, chocolate(these foods are toxic to cats), You know. common sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Cat

Regarding the popular raw meat diet: If you do decide to go into this be sure to consult a holistic veterinarian first. I have heard both good things and bad things about this diet. The worst I've heard is when bones perforate the esophagus and other internal parts of the body causing death. There is also a lot of concern about salmonella, parasites, and bacteria. Although cats and dogs may be less susceptible to it than we are I wouldn't count on them being totally immune to it. There have been actual cases of salmonella poisoning in cats. One case involved a woman who was feeding her cats a raw beef diet and her cats died. I'm sure it's fine to feed them a rare steak. We eat it. And perhaps there are ways to safely feed a raw meat diet to your cats but you need a qualified holistic vet to endorse it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~dawn~
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
Regarding the popular raw meat diet: If you do decide to go into this be sure to consult a holistic veterinarian first.
I know this is an old post, but can someone point me to a good resource for finding a holistic vet? I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps.

thanks!
dawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
I have heard both good things and bad things about this diet. The worst I've heard is when bones perforate the esophagus and other internal parts of the body causing death. There is also a lot of concern about salmonella, parasites, and bacteria. Although cats and dogs may be less susceptible to it than we are I wouldn't count on them being totally immune to it. There have been actual cases of salmonella poisoning in cats. One case involved a woman who was feeding her cats a raw beef diet and her cats died.
If afraid of bones perforating the esophagus and/or intestines you can always feed ground bones instead of whole bones.

The bacteria/parasite aspect will always scare some people off. The freezer will kill parasites so parasites shouldn't be a problem if the meat is frozen before given to the cats. Bacterias... well, they're all around us. Not even commercial diets are safe. Salmonella have been found in commercial diets. Toxins such as mycotoxins are found in dryfood from time to time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~dawn~
I know this is an old post, but can someone point me to a good resource for finding a holistic vet? I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps.

thanks!
dawn
Dawn, Meowmie has in the past posted a link to a site that lists holistic vets, but I can't find it. You could PM her or post your question in Health and Nutrition.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page