I am so very sad - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I am so very sad

I had posted last week that I was about to adopt a main coon mix my friend rescued from the streets. The sweetest, gentle big black with white ruff boy.
He was to get neutered 1-11-13. I knew the rescue lady would let me know if his FIV/FIP test was positive( my only concern). Never did I expect to get the e-mail I just saw this morning. Charlie died under the anesthesia- they suspect he had heart worm or was just allergic to the anesthesia. I was a vet tech back in the 80's so I know this can happen. I only met him once but he stole my heart with his pleasant nature.
It is 4 AM and I have tears streaming down my face as I type. We were NOT looking for a cat when I heard about him but the connection was there. Perhaps it was just not meant to be. My daughter and I are going to spend the day together after I am done work today and she is bringing her cat for me to cat sit when she leaves for a short vacation on Monday.
I know I can search petfinder and find another cat but, again, it was his incredible laid back nature that I loved- I am still owned by two wonderful cats, A.C. and Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Premier Cat

For whatever reason we will never know why that little boy you had set your heart on was called Home. He was not strong enough too survive this for whatever reason and if not this vet visit, then perhaps in a year or two or so the same thing would have happened. I am so sorry you had to go through this.

I know how much it must hurt. We adopted Abby when she was 11 and I took her in for an in-depth teeth cleaning. Afterwards the vet told me she would do anything she could except put her under anesthesia again because she had a severely irregular heartbeat and only survived by an inch. It was so close that it really seemed to rattle the vet. Abby was always so sickly, short of breath at the tiniest exertion, we only had her with us for 2 years until she got too sick to recover on her own. I hope the pain of this experience fades soon and I hope you find the purrfect little guy or gal for you.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your kind words- I was a vet tech and know things can happen and being a stray, who knows what was wrong. I told my hubby this morning and he asked what I wanted to do- I had already printed out some pages from pet finder. He liked an all black main coon mix( I now have my heart set on a fluffy cat) because the description stated the cat was around dogs- hopefully we can visit one or two this weekend- Being able to get along with the dogs and other cats is a priority- I don't want a cat that is terrified in it's own home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Premier Cat

I'm glad you are looking forward not backward. You will find the perfect little guy. Thanks for being so caring and adopting! I adopt old cats and know the heartbreak of losing one all too soon, too. I am convinced the joy of adopting and saving a life far outweighs the heartbreak of losing them. We lost our Winnie - a 15 year old Maine Coon that we adopted last May. I cried like a baby when we saw her in the Petsmart cage - 15, ratty looking, scared and confused, and cried like a baby when we lost her on Thursday. Didn't have her long, but she was sweet and saving her life was worth it, no matter how little time we had. The city shelter - a kill shelter here, supplies the cats to Petsmart.
We are going to visit a cat today I found on PetFinder called Minnie - query the name. She is in a shelter called Heritage something or other. She is 8 years old. No one wants the old babies, but I do. I give them loving, forever homes after they've been senselessly thrown away. Good luck with your search, and thanks again for saving a life.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Premier Cat

I wished you lived closer! I have a Maine Coon Mix foster that has been with me 3 years! He is very shy. His brother, who looked exactly like him, was adopted but not sweet Ace. He loves other cats but is skittish around people. But once you have his trust he is BIG love. Such a wonderful temperament. But he is black and long haired and people shy away from black cats so they have such a hard time getting adopted. I'm so glad your going to give a deserving shelter cat a home. Good luck on your search for a new buddy!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Cat Addict

This must have been a horrible experience - I hope you find an equally adorable baby soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I visited one long haired tabby today at a shelter- Very sweet and laid back- good with cats and the barking dogs don't even phase him. There are two others (at different rescues) we still want to check out- a female all black long hair( hope to meet her tomorrow) and one other I have not been able to reach other than an e-mail response- he is supposed to be main coon/persian. Hopefully by next saturday we will have our new addition- right now I am cat sitting for my daughter so Rocky is well exercised . So many cats at the shelters, yet, when you feel a connection, you know it. My friend who found Charlie and got him off the streets somehow believes that the rescue lady just wanted him for herself because the co-owner of the rescue did not know Charlie had died. No reason to lie- They get so many cats and so few adopters - Conspiracy theory- I think not
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We met another main coon mix today and hubby fell head over heels- He has a test- how the animal reacts to being held- this little all black DLH/ main coon mix just totally relaxed and snuggled. I am sure Curtis would have been the same way but he is being treated for ring worm. i would have been happy with either but honestly, Dutchess( the female) has a flat coat much easier to groom- she has been fostered with cats and dogs too. She is getting spayed tomorrow-at the vet I use, not a shelter clinic so I feel less nervous . If she is awake enough, I take her home monday night. Her recovery/introduction room is all ready for her-http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24860415
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Tom Cat

So sorry for your loss.

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.

Last edited by marie73; 03-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page