Completely heart broken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Completely heart broken

Hi all,

I just don’t know what to do, I’m all over the place, overwhelmed by grief. My heart is broken. My baby cat Loki was sadly taken from us too soon at just 9 months old, leaving behind his brother Gizmo. They were so close, now Gizmo has been wandering around crying for his brother. It’s almost too much to bear.

He was run down by someone who didn’t even stop, they just left him in middle of the road to die on his own. We live on a quiet street, it was light outside still and he was under a street lamp, so I don’t know how they didn’t see what had happened. I hope that whoever did this feels as much guilt as we do for not keeping him safe.

We rescued him from a horrible home, but I feel like we didn’t protect him like we should have done. I wanted to give him freedom to explore and go on adventures, but I feel like we made the wrong choice.

I’m sorry that I didn’t keep you safe Loki, the guilt will stay with me forever. I love you little kitty.

Last edited by gizmoandloki; 06-20-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added Image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss of this precious kitten! The outdoors can be so cruel to cats with cars, predators and snatchers that use them as bait for fighting dogs. Anything could have happened, he could have gotten spooked and just ran without thinking. The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is about 3 years with indoor cats living 4 to 5 times that long.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much for your reply Marcia, the pain is unbelievable I know, it's so tough out there for our little cats. I just couldn't possibly keep him cooped up in the house, it wouldn't be fair. Cats need to go out and explore the outside, I just feel so guilty that it happened right outside our house, he was nearly home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoandloki View Post
Thanks so much for your reply Marcia, the pain is unbelievable I know, it's so tough out there for our little cats. I just couldn't possibly keep him cooped up in the house, it wouldn't be fair. Cats need to go out and explore the outside, I just feel so guilty that it happened right outside our house, he was nearly home.
Unfortunately, this is the cost we pay for letting them roam. I hope you feel better soon.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Cat Addict

That is so very sad. I'm sorry for your loss. You and Gizmo need to give each other hugs in your mutual time of grief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's our biggest fear when we have cats that are outdoor cats, cars, dogs, and poison. I'm so sorry for your loss.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Premier Cat

Im so sorry this happened. My heart goes out to you. I have two indoor/outdoor cats which came to me from the out of doors. My sister refused to make them stay inside so now they are conditioned to go outside. Every day I let them out I know its a calculated risk. There are a few cats which are just never going to be happy inside. You give them the best life they can have and let that be your comfort.

In the US it is very frowned on to have out of door cats. Lots of predators including humans! Plus cars, poisons, etc. Its a cultural thing how each country views this issue of keeping a cat indoors or out of doors. Loki was such a cute kitten. He is with the angels now and feels no pain. He knew your love to rescue him from an awful home to come live with you.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry to hear about your Loki.. Please don't be so hard on yourself, Gizmo needs you now as much as you need him.
You took great care of Loki, the fault isn't yours it's with the mindless idiot that did this.
I know you feel you should have kept him safe, what more could you have done?
It is so very horrible to have this happen.
I don't know, ..... I let my girls out but I pull them all in at nightfall, it sounds like you did too. That's about the only thing I can suggest to try to make it 'safer'.

No matter what you do there are no guarantees <sighs>.. I am so sorry... Wish I were there to give you a hug. But Gizmo is and he sure could use a few from you!
Take care of yourself and Gizmo.. and maybe, who knows, in time, you may be able to get a little buddy for Gizmo... and yourself.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry for your loss...a big HUG to you. I had to make a decision a long time ago about the indoor/outdoor issue, now my seven cats are all indoors and no one complains about not being able to go outside, they have lots of toys and totally rule their inside universe. I lost a beautiful sweet de-clawed simese to vicious dogs years ago, (and no it wasn't me who had her de-clawed) she was a stray that had wandered in. That horrible loss taught me two things, one, I would never de-claw a cat and two, my cats would all be indoor only, I have tried to honor little PYES spirit since by being a better cat guardian. I know how much it hurts and you can't help but beat yourself up for the 'what ifs' But now gizmo needs you more than ever now...Again a big HUG to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page