My heart is shattered - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My heart is shattered

A week ago my bf finally gave me the ok on taking in some foster kittens. I drove down to a shelter about 40 min away. We have several shelters closer but I chose this particular shelter bc they are located in a major city and is always completely overwhelmed with strays and surrenders. They had received 14 litters of bottle feeders that day. I settled on a litter of 3 two weekers when I spotted a slightly larger kitten alone in one of the crates. He was about 3 weeks old and was absolutely beautiful. He had long fluffy white fur with grey patches and a fast grey tail. I fell in love instantly and he ended up coming home with me as well. He was a problem right from the start. He wouldn't take the bottle at all so I had to feed with a syringe. He hadn't pooped since I brought him home so on wednesday I took him to the clinic at the shelter. The vet tech said she could feel hard stools and just water down his formula and try some wet food. Over the next day he was straining a lot and was starting to get a tiny bit of blood coming out of his rectum. I took him back to the clinic first thing friday morning. They gave him subq fluids and spent 2 hours giving enemas. He finally went but afterwards he was very lethargic. They told me it was alot of strain on his little body and he was just exhausted. He got up and moved around a little throughout the night and this morning so I thought he was starting to feel better. Sadly around noon I noticed he was looking really worn out and his breathing was very heavy. I picked him up and cuddled him in my lap where he shuddered once and just stopped. I quickly layed him down on the bed and he didn't appear to be breathing. I spent the next several minutes blowing into his mouth and giving tiny compressions, but he was gone. I felt like my heart broke into millions of tiny pieces. I love all of the kittens but he snagged a very special place in my heart. He went through a few names, but I finally settled on Gizmo bc my bf kept saying the kitten looked like the gremlin lol. I was really leaning towards adopting him and now I feel so empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Premier Cat

I am so very, very sorry...
You were still his angel here, because he didn't die alone.
Bless you for caring and taking him home.
Sigh, how quickly they can grab our hearts..
HUGS...♡♡

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Cat

That's horrible I am so sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry this happened, but it was never meant to be. There is just so much that can go wrong with these tiny creatures. You did good to show him love and compassion in his final days.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. My only condolence is that the other three babies I am fostering seem to be thriving. When I first brought them home last week the little stinkers could squeeze through the bars of the dog crate they were going to sleep in. I haven't tried it but they certainly don't look like they could squeeze their chubby little bellies through anymore lol.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Tom Cat

Sad to hear about Gizmo but it is so nice to know that precious little baby left this world having been loved so much by someone and didn't die alone.
Hope those other three little guys keep doing well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Cool Cat

ofall...
Im so so sorry. Clearly you cared. Gizmo knew how he was loved. And like tinypaws said, he wasnt alone when he moved on...

God bless your heart, your kindness for this small soul...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Jr. Cat

How sad. Bless you for being there for that little baby.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry about your little Gizmo. I a glad he had you by your side when he died. The little guy knew love from you. Thank you for being so kind to him.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. I can't even describe the connection I felt with that little guy. He had a very hard time from the day I brought him home and I'm thankful that he didn't die alone on the streets and that he's not suffering. The other 3 kittens are still doing well (fingers crossed). They eat like little piglets and are starting to play with each other.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page