Nymph, the tiniest kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Nymph, the tiniest kitten

Nymph, the 7th and smallest of my current foster kittens passed away very early this morning. She was a tiny black fuzzball with a giant set of lungs and a fighter spirit. She made it to 4 weeks old, but was only 5 ounces and none of the measures we took to save her life was enough.

I'm sorry you didn't get to know more of the world my darling. You are loved and you are missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

Rest in peace little one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Tom Cat

Just curious...how did the momma and other kittens respond to this? Do they just ignore the body laying there or do they have some kind of mourning/grieving process?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Cat Addict

Run to the bridge, little Nymph.

And thanks to all of you foster families - I know this isn't uncommon at all, to lose the occasional tiny frail one. Your hearts are pure gold for doing what you do.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Cat Addict

I am sorry for you and Nymph. You are a special person to be able to deal with this and fosters.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Cool Cat

I'm so sorry. Even when you're half expecting that a kitten isn't going to make it, you still hope for the best and do everything you can to save them, but sometimes itjust isn't enough. We had 2 kittens from separate litters come in to our recovery centre within the last month that we couldn't save; they were just too underweight. It's really really tough to do rescue work sometimes, but it does make a difference. In the 9 months I've been a member of catforum, I've seen so many posts about your successes as a foster mom to litter after litter of needy kittens. It's incredibly inspiring! I'm sure you've experienced more than your fair share of loss too, considering the vulnerable little ones you choose to take on, but you've given so many more the chance to live full, happy, healthy lives with loving families! Nymph was loved and well cared for in the short time she was alive.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Cat Addict

(CRIES) WAAAAAAA. Rest peacefully little one. I swear the smaller they are the hardest it is
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Nymph wasn't staying warm enough in the laundry room with the others, and when she was in there, she was getting pushed off the heated disc by the others, so for the last 36 hours or so of her life, she was out here in the living room with us. On a pillow right near us all day, with her heated rice socks, and in a small crate at night, with her heated rice socks (right next to me...I've been sleeping on the couch most of the last 2 weeks so I'll be able to hear anyone who cries). I took her body in and showed mom this morning, before I took it back to the shelter (shelter policy that they get the body back) and mom didn't seem concerned. Of course, I was bawling my eyes out at the time and mom just wanted to rub on me, so she could have been responding to me instead. I didn't show the body to the babies, but I did "talk" to them and tell them about her dying.

This is only the second kitten I've had die in over 3 years of doing this, and the first one I'd only had for 2 days and I hadn't even named him yet (he later became Phoenix).

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Cat Addict

Aww, it's never easy, regardless of how long you've had them. I wonder if that's why Mom was hesitant to nurse them (because she sensed she was not strong enough to live)? I'm glad she got to know what love is from you for what little time she had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page