Jem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Jem

I know quite a few of you are aware of this already from another thread, but I just wanted to post Jem's story here as well. Eight years ago this month, I went to a shelter wanting to adopt a kitten (as so many do) and found myself drawn to two adult kitties. They’d been there for several months with little interest and were to be adopted as a pair (which is difficult enough for kittens, but nearly impossible for adults). I went into meet them, and the orange & white kitty (then named Lollygag) immediately jumped on my lap and started giving me nose kisses and purring. The shelter worker said he was usually scared and cowering in the corner, so that was very unusual for him. I guess he found “his person” in me for whatever reason. His brother Scout was equally affectionate and immediately won me over. They have both brought immeasurable joy to my life. Jem has definitely been the most skittish kitty I’ve ever had, often retreating to my bedroom when the doorbell rings, there’s a knock at the door, or someone tears a piece of foil from the box, when there's a thunderstorm, and countless other seemingly harmless events. He has never been too friendly around guests (again, often retreating to my room to hide) as he was always terrified of outsiders. But with me, he has always been the sweetest, most loyal, goofiest, and loving boy. He was always patiently waiting by the door when I walk in, greeting me with his “prrrrts” and “ennnyyows”. He would follow me around the house, keep me company while I worked or watched TV, announce every evening when it was time to go to bed (promptly at 10:30), and gently wake me up each morning with paw pats and kisses. He’s most certainly never been a lap kitty or one to be held, but he loved nuzzling up next to me each night, "making biscuits" and drooling all over the blanket. And the best part of my day was lying next to him and falling asleep listening to him purr softly. Sadly, he was diagnosed with oral squamous cell cancer about 6 weeks ago after undergoing a terrifying series of visits to the vet, numerous diagnostic tests, overnight stays, and surgery. He was such a strong, brave boy throughout his ordeal and constantly amazed me with his resilience, exuberance, and fighting spirit. Even after all of what he’d been through, he was still my sweet, silly, playful boy until about a week ago. He gradually lost the interest to play, began sleeping more, and wouldn’t eat out of his dish anymore, so I had to feed him with my fingers. He eventually stopped eating all together over the weekend. I knew it was time to say goodbye to him and I did not want to see him suffer, but I agonized over the decision all weekend long. He passed away very peacefully in my arms this morning. I miss him more than words can possibly express, and am so grateful to have his brother Scout here with me so we can console each other. I know he will forever hold a very special place in my heart and always be my little “Peanut.” Rest in peace my precious, sweet boy.

Last edited by marie73; 10-28-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Cat Addict

I'm in tears reading your post. I"m so very sorry. Thank you for giving him and his brother a wonderful life, and he did have a wonderful life with you. God knows, had you not saved him and his brother, who knows how long they would have been in the shelter or if ever adopted, and probably not been so together. You gave him a wonderful life, the best life that a cat can hope for, and he was able to know that kind of love for eight years. I am so heartbroken for you and for Scout. Rest in peace sweet little Jem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

Jem, Special little guy...
May you forever have sunshine to bask in,
And many playmates to enjoy...
You are pain free and whole now...
At the Bridge...

Emily, Hugs for you...
You are not alone...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Cat Addict

RIP Jem. You found your loving owner who cared for you and held you all the way to passing over. What a beautiful boy you were.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Cat Addict

still torn up about Jem. What a sweet little boy he was. RIP Jem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Senior Cat

Thank you for sharing the story about Jem. What a sweet and loyal kitty. *hugs*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kitties!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks everyone. He was really such a special boy. I still can't believe he's gone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Cool Cat

Eternal petpets dear sweet Jem.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry Jem had to go, emily. I feel for you, I know it hurts. I wish I had something comforting to say.
Thank you for sharing his story, it was clear why the two of you loved each other so much.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

How sad. I must be ignorant because I didn't realize this was a good bye letter about Jem. It broke my heart - yet I've been through this so many times myself. I know how your heart must be breaking and how much you will miss this fellow. He was loyal, loving and everything a parent would want in a furbaby. You've been blessed - as was he to have found you. These little lives just don't last long enough do they?? ***hugs to you***

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page