Hendon - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hendon

Hi Folks

Thought i'd finally update with some very sad news.

A few weeks ago, both my cats stopped eating. After a few daysone of my cats was eating as normal, the other remained eating very little. He seemed otherwise fine.

We took him to the vet who had a look and all the vitals were fine. But we knew he wasn't himself.

Fast forward a week, and we woke up to find our little white cat Hendon breathing very heavily and looking extremely poorly.

We took him to the vet who immediately told us he was in an extremely bad way. He kept him for a few hours and when we went back, he told us that something was very seriously wrong with him, and that they’d had to perform a ‘chest tap’ to get fluid off his lungs.

We were told that the steroid injection he’d been given should hold him over for a few days until more tests could be done.

Unfortunately, the next morning he was much, much worse and long story short, a week short of his first birthday, we had to have Hendon put down.

Turns out he was born with an enlarged heart (how appropriate) and what had happened to him was inevitable to happen at some point in his life. We were (are) absolutely devastated to lose him; he really was very special and a very real member of our family. He was (with our other cat Stockwell) the first pet I’ve ever had and it’s real tragedy he’s gone.

Last edited by marie73; 07-31-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Cat Addict

Oh I am so sorry. Your heart must be breaking. Such a handsome fellow and so happy to have lived in a home where he knew such love and attachment, gone way too soon.

RIP Hendon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Senior Cat

I'm so sorry for your loss, it always hurts to lose a fur baby, especially when they're still so young.

Wishing you all the best! How is Stockwell taking the loss of his buddy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Stockwell is really lonely unfortunately. It's the first time he's been home alone and when we get back from work, he's like a dog for want of a better description - comes to the door, meows like mad, spends 10 minutes rubbing heads etc...

Fortunately, we've got a new friend coming for him next weekend...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Cat Addict

If he was a purebred cat, it may be worth a call to the breeder to let them know about this health condition, which has a possibility of being congenital.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Cat Addict

I am so sorry for this loss and pain. This seems out of your control. You brought him to the vet and they couldn't see it coming. So sad. Give all your love to Stockwell.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
If he was a purebred cat, it may be worth a call to the breeder to let them know about this health condition, which has a possibility of being congenital.
The breeder was our first call; worth letting her know of course but it's purely a birth defect by the sounds of it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Cat Addict

I remember adorable little Hendon. I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP little guy.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks very much. He really was awesome.

Very fortunately, we have managed to source a replacement so Stockwell shouldn't be lonely too long.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

So, so sorry about your sweet boy - RIP little Hendon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshambo View Post
The breeder was our first call; worth letting her know of course but it's purely a birth defect by the sounds of it.
Yes, but specific birth defects can run in pedigree lines and the breeder absolutely needed that info, glad you let them know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page