Goodbye, miss Dahlia. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Goodbye, miss Dahlia.

I had to put my sweet old lady down a couple of weeks ago. I had been out of town after losing a family member, she was losing weight and going downhill (as expected, her kidneys and heart were failing her) before I left, but still herself, spunky, eating, drinking. After just two days when I got home she was looking bad, my family member caring for her said she had been acting tired, but still eating until that day. She disappeared outdoors, usually she would simply sun herself out there with us, when she disappeared and didn't come running when I was walking and calling for her, I just knew somehow she'd left to die. The next day I found her, in the garden next door cold and dehydrated. She FELT like she was dying, working in small animal rescue you get to know the feeling. I took her in and wrapped her up and got her to the vet when they opened.

They gave her a SubQ injection to help with any pain, and relax her. She died while the vet was trying to find a vein a little while later to inject the euthanasia solution. She was already unconscious at the time, wrapped up in her blanket and hopefully as comfortable as she could be. It was as peaceful as I could have hoped.

I wish I'd had many more years with her, she showed up as an elderly stray a few years ago and never left. I was never able to track down her old owners, the majority of her life is a total mystery. But I'm touched that I was able to know her and give her a home in the end. She was a wonderful, brave and loving little girl. She was never warm towards my boy cats, but she jumped between them and a large tom who came into my house and tore him a new one when he was after them before I could get in the middle of it. She let me know (LOUDLY) when someone was trying to break into my house in the dead of night. She taught my large cat-hating dog how he ought to act around them and never once took any BS from him. She was the best ratter I've ever had, the heck with man-made traps, she cleared up a large rat problem by herself when nothing else worked. But was always very patient with my own pet rats.

I miss her very much. I hope one day I get to have another like her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6127_591381414211493_1903075262_n.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	66473  

Name:	100_3303.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	570.3 KB
ID:	66481  

Name:	100_1849.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	66489  

Name:	Dahliaface1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	66497  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Tom Cat

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. The pain is terrible, I know. I lost my sweet calico last month and I'm still in a lot of grief.

She sounds like she was your guardian angel. You both were blessed to have each other!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Premier Cat

Poisoned,
I'm so sorry you lost your ♡Heart Kitty♡...
She sounds like she was a Very Special Kitty...
She certainly was a Beauty!!
She's Free now of any pain and will have a Ray of Sunshine, to call her own, at the Bridge...
Sorry about your loss of your human family member as well...
So much to hit all at once...
Hugs and Prayers,
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry about your loss of a family member and your beloved "miss Dahlia". She sounds like she was an amazing kitty and is probably up at the Rainbow Bridge chasing all the rats away, looking down on you with love for taking in the two new kittens who need your tender love and support now!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Cat Addict

just ((HUGSS))....big ((HUGGS))
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Premier Cat

I'm really, really sorry you had to go through this. Adopting seniors has it's heartbreak and I have been through it many, many times but you showed her unconditional love and compassion and for that she thanks you I'm sure.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Cat

I'm sorry for your loss. It's a lot like losing a child.

We've been fostering a big 9 year old orange male. He's not elderly but he's not young anymore either. My wife and I just love him. Most likely we're going to adopt him, knowing that his life might be more than half over already.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Cat Addict

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Cool Cat

I am so very sorry for you loss of this sweet gal. I am also so grateful that you gave her wonderful years of love in her senior years. What a wonderful gift of love.

Hugs to. Eternal petpets to Dahlia.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Premier Cat

It sounds like she was one tough little cookie - and such a beautiful one too! Sending you lots of sympathy and good wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page