In Memory of Mclovin (2008-2014) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

In Memory of Mclovin (2008-2014)

Last Thursday we lost our big baby McLovin. He was always a heavy cat but his build was big, big shoulders and solid neck, big paws, always hovering around 19 lbs. He was a perfect tuxedo with an all black face, sweet white feet, and a white bib. He even had a bowtie when he felt like dressing up. I never liked his name (my ex named him) but I loved that kitty with all my heart and still do. He was just one of those cats that lived to hang out with his humans. Waiting by the door for you if he heard your car, he'd come running if I said his name, but you have to say it like a question, "McLovin?" MEOW! Boom (him jumping) then he'd run up and jump into bed or onto the couch with you. If you held your hand above his head he would stand on his hind legs, grab your hand with his front paws, and rub his face all over it until he lost balance.

He was never much of a playful cat past his first year. He would do a few impressive jumps and catch the toy, and after a few compliments like "ooh so manly, good job!!" he was content to sit back down and chill. As a kitten and into his "teen" growing years he was super playful, he'd even pant like a dog from all the jumps. He wasnt sweet or affectionate then, but once he became full grown he switched into a complete lovebug and preferred vigorous snuggles and pets over vigorous play.

He went through lots of what we called "phases" in his life, usually only lasting a week or two. The "sitting on the edges of tables with legs hanging off" phase, the "knocking water glasses off tables/counters" phase (smashed a whole set of ikea glasses haha), his "sleeping under the bed with just his feet showing" phase, etc. One phase that never left was his obsession for all things that crinkle. Listerine wrappers, nyquil wrappers, plastic bags. He would hang out pretending that he was just chilling, then when you left the room he'd dig things out of the trash and try to eat them. We'd have to come running to stop him. So silly. My boyfriend bought him a big crinkly toy snake that he loved. We covered it in catnip and he'd hold it in his front paws and rub it all over his face with a smile, then hug it like it was his baby and pass out.

In his life he had two cat buddies. The first was MooMoo my ex's cat. She was with him for about a year and she somewhat raised him from kitten into adult. She was very rough and kinda mean, but I cought them snoozing together and grooming each other. When Moo left he was really sad and clingly, he cried a lot and I let him sleep with me in my bed and generally gave him tons of sugar. Then my roomie got Megatron (meg for short) a little fuzzy gray kitten. He loved her and he became a papa. He watched her every move, snuggled her, and cleaned her daily. He would even puke up hairballs of HER fur, never his own. She was never a nice cat, and when my roomie moved out I kept her for McLovin's sake. She was his little baby and I didn't want to see him sad and lonely again. He loved the company of others and I didn't think he would be good all alone during the day while I worked.

On Sept 19th I brough him to the e-vet. He came out from under the couch after hiding all day and he was yowling. He had a routine that after breakfast he sleeps under the couch for hours digesting, then he emerges and started his day around 2. well that day i was home from work for some reason. He cried and cried and limped and dragged his rear right paw. Never ever a scratcher or a biter, more of a baby, he even hissed at me when I came near him. I called my vet and they said they couldn't see him since they were booked solid, so I had to wait for the e-vet to open to bring him in. He go x-rays and they saw nothing, just minor arthritis in his hips (they said possibly due to his size). they gave us some pain meds and said give him a few weeks see how he does.

He had ups and downs, while on pain meds he got what appeared to be "better" but really it wasn't. After about 2 weeks he declined and slept all day and was a crab. he'd hiss at people he loved and didn't want much sugar. He was still eating but a bit less. he even stopped cleaning his immaculate coat, something which he prided. I decided he must be depressed and gave him extra love and affection. then he had a second coming, he started to walk a lot more, ate more, and became social again. i babied him, carried him to the couch or bed since he couldn't jump, talked to him incessantly (he loved my voice, he would stare with his giant yellow eyes and his ankles would shake with happiness, always made us laugh). he did good for a couple weeks and we were optimistic. Then two Mondays ago we noticed his hip was protruding a little. i rubbed it and moved his joints and he just purred and looked at me. His movements were good so i thought maybe he created an imbalance from his limp.

That Friday we noticed the bump was much bigger. By Sunday he had gotten poo on himself and threw up his food. Monday I brought him to the vet for blood work and she noticed he was constipated. Weds he went in for x-rays and an enema and they found that he had a huge bone tumor on his hip. I was told this was almost certainly the end for my lil bud which i did NOT expect, i thought he maybe needed anti inflammatories or meds. the tumor was blocking his colon as well. I brought him to an oncologist thurs and there they found he also had tumors in his lungs that were all over. Thursday he was not himself, his eyes stayed open with tears even has he slept. he purred non-stop and loved our touch but he wasnt strong enough to do much besides nuzzle us or rest a paw on our hand. we decided then and there that it was his time. No more suffering for our baby boy. it all happened so fast and up until wednesday he was running around on that lame leg, eating from three different food dishes, rubbing himself in catnip, and acting like he always did.

We have no regrets for how we treated him in life, nor that we had to put him out of his suffering before it went past that awful day. We just miss having him around. he was the center of our universe and he touched all of us deeply. What an amazing sweet cat. Only 6 years on the planet and he helped us through so many hard times and made us laugh and smile daily. Miss you buddy, you were my heart cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	75537

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	75545

Name:	10749069_10100540741457069_2117342467_n.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	75553

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	75561

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	75569

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	75577
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Premier Cat

Awww, what a sweet beautiful boy. I am so very sorry for your loss. Not only was it as shock to lose someone so young but the swiftness of his decline must have taken your breath away. Hugs to you, I know this is tough.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you Marcia, you are so kind. I always feared his time coming and didn't know how I'd live without my monkey, but I thought we had 10 more years with him since he always had a gorgeous coat, bright eyes, and he ate the best canned foods and had regular vet visits. He was never sick, always so lively.

I asked the vet if we found his cancer sooner if there was anything we could've done, she said probably not. There were some options such as amputation and a month of daily chemo treatments in-office, but she said they would need to remove so much of his pelvis and that even with chemo he would most likely have more spreading. I didn't want him to suffer the loss of a limb and all that treatment just to add a few more months, so we were already leaning towards letting him go peacefully. Once we heard about the lung cancer it took any doubt or guilt from our minds about trying to save him.

It happened so quickly it's been hard to adjust. On Friday Meg sniffed around looking for him and was being more sweet than usual. Saturday she was a mopey ball of fur, she didnt want any contact with us and just looked like a sad pile of fur with a face. Sunday on shes been super sweet and needy, which she has never been. We always pet her and played with her but she would get tired of us so fast, now she cant get enough love. My boyfriend's nephews and niece made her a house out of a cardboard box and drew on it, they drew the whole family including mclovin. Kids are so sweet. They visit and play with her everyday which she loves. Also for the first time in the history of Meg's existence, she took a nap with me yesterday for a whole hour! Shes turning into a little snuggle monkey, I hope this lasts but I'll love her either way. She can be so fresh lol.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 AM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful boy he was. My daughter's tuxie looks just like him.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Cool Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful. I know how hard it is to lose your heart cat and I am sending you thoughts and prayers.

Judy
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

howsefrau & judy, thank you for your supportive words. I've always had a weakness for black kitties and tuxedos. judy the baby in your avatar is so cute, he has that same look as mine did. when he was a baby i thought it was somewhat aloof or expressionless, but over time it became apparent that that look is their way of saying "what now mom?"
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Cool Cat

Oh Kim, I'm so very sorry!! To lose him so early to cancer seems really unfair. It sounds like you did everything you could for Mclovin, up to and including making the decision to end his suffering. I'm sure he's grateful to you and your family for everything! *hugs*

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Premier Cat

BTW, I adore his name!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing them suddenly is very hard; he knew how much you all loved him and I am sure he continues to look down on you with love.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page