Goodbye to the traveling cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Goodbye to the traveling cat

Hi all,

I haven't been on this forum in over a month as something truly terrible happened to our little adoptee, Suria.

She was our baby girl, and it's really hard just to type up the story of what happened to her, but I can't watch any kitten videos on youtube without thinking about her and tearing up so maybe this will help.

As you may remember we were having trouble figuring out to feed her (being new kitten parents) but we finally sourced some kitten chow.

A few days later we noticed she had a swollen paw, so we took her to the vet. The vet said it was probably a sprain and not to worry. This was Saturday.

By Monday her whole leg was swollen and she was listless and refusing water and food, so we went back to the vet, who told us we needed to take her to a better vet facility on the other island (about 1 hour ferry away).

Hubby took us by motorbike to the ferry pier and kitty and I went to the Big Island. There they told us she was too dehydrated to run blood tests, but they did an X-ray and confirmed that nothing was broken. They gave her a subcutaneous fluid shot and sent us home with syringes, recovery formula, and antibiotics.

On Thursday she didn't seem any better - she was so weak she rarely got up and just laid on the bed or in our laps. I don't think she was dehydrated as we were giving her water and food every 2 hours around the clock like a baby bird. We were so worried. So hubby took her back to the vet on the big island. This time the vet asked to leave her overnight for observation, which we did.

Turns out hubby had gotten confused about which vet to go to (easy to do, they were next each other and signs were in Thai) and this vet did not believe in subcutaneous fluids. He left her all night with no food or water, giving her only glucose syrup in between. When we returned to check on her in the morning she was so dehydrated she was like a bag of bones, covered in her own diarrhea (which she had not had before this vet). I have never been so angry.

We took her back to the first vet who immediately put her on IV. She said she was too dehydrated to run blood tests. We got a hotel room nearby. The next day she was still too dehydrated for tests. We stayed another night.

The next morning we decided that we were going to really push for the blood tests - plus it was getting very expensive. It was about 9 AM and Suria was mewing loudly and angrily. She was uncomfortable with the IV sticking out of her leg and didn't want to be fed, struggling. I was standing nearby and we were talking to the vet about blood tests while they fed her.

The vet was using normal soft canned cat food with no water in it. It was so thick they had to load the syringe from the back. They also hadn't offered her any plain water beforehand, so I suggested they water the food down or give her some water. The vet asked one of the attendees to get some water, and then gave Suria a squirt of food. She began choking.

The vet thought she was having a stroke. I was like "No, she is choking!!" and then it was too late. She was looking right at me in panic, and then her eyes were blank. The vet tried to get the food out of her throat, but she was already dead. I started bawling.

We were filming the vet feeding her too, in order to learn how to do it better. So it's all on my phone.

I keep going over in my mind what could have happened. Why the swollen paw? She was doing so well before that - gaining weight every day, being rambunctious and generally adorable. What changed?

So anyway. If anyone wondered what had happened to the Traveling Cat - she's buried behind our house on the hill. And every time I see the blue of the tropical ocean - the same startling blue of her eyes the first time she opened them and looked at me - I feel sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Tom Cat

OMG!!!! This is devastating. I don't know what to feel right now. I'm sad and angry at the same time. I am so sorry you had to loose your baby in such a horrific way.
Shocked... thats what it is, I am shoked.
Who knows why her paw swelled up like that in the beginning, my guess is an internal infection of some kind. Maybe she got stung or bitten by something. The rest is just tragic, tragic, tragic.
Your story makes me realise how often we take accsess to good vets for granted. I am so so sorry!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so very, very sorry...I just don't have the words at this time...
Suria, you got to know some love and care...
(((HUGS)))
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416552399366.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	76241

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry about your precious baby. I wished I could do something to ease your pain. Hugs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Cat Addict

That is horrific! I feel so sorry for you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Cat Addict

Well that was so hard to read so I can imagine how hard it was to live through. You did everything you could to great lengths to help your baby. It is shocking that these "professionals" call themselves vets. I am so sorry. I feel your pain. What a tragedy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Premier Cat

Oh no, I'm so sorry! What an awful series of events. You gave Suria a loving home in the time you had her and did so much to try to get her better. I hope you'll hold on to the happy memories, although I cannot imagine how angry and sad you are all at once.

I believe you said that vet care was pretty limited where you are. Is there some kind of organization that certifies vets that would care about your story, so that perhaps the mistakes the vets made with Suria would at least not be repeated with other kitties?

Sendings lots of hugs and sympathy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Cat Addict

So sorry, so horribly sad.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the support. Hubby and I were both pretty emotional about it, we both kept having dreams about those last few moments, wondering what we could have done differently to keep her.

I know losing a pet is hard, but her death just felt wrong. Like so unnecessary and confusing.

I keep trying not to blame myself - for giving her the wrong food (canned fish) until we made the effort to find kitten food, for allowing the vet to give her her vaccination and worm medicine at the same time (apparently hard on kittens?), or making sure that she stayed inside the mosquito net at night. She often liked to go exploring around the room while we slept, and usually wanted a 2 or 3 AM snack.

I do feel a pretty failed by the "experts." I also sincerely hope that we never have to experience a hospital in Thailand. After this experience, I'm pretty frightened of what the human medical personnel might be capable of.

The last vet (the one who choked her) apologized and gave us half our money back. I'd have rather have the cat
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Cool Cat

I am so very sorry for your loss, I am so sad for you...giant hugs from afar, I can't imagine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page