Jade - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Jade

This is something that happened four years ago, but I'd like to share it.
Jade had been the cat I grew up with, it was very much a hate-love relationship, and I'll admit I was pretty cruel to him sometimes. Knowing how awful I was to him made losing him even harder. I was only thirteen when we put him to sleep.
Funny, typing this is bringing on some tears. I didn't think it would. It's amazing how even after four years it still makes me cry.
Anyways, Jade crossed the Rainbow Bridge January 17th, 2011. We helped him to do so, though I think he would have on his own very soon.
All seemed well leading up to what seemed like his incredibly sudden decline, but I think I noticed something before. I noticed that he had lost weight, and brought it up to my mom, but we both disregarded it. He had to have been eleven, and we assumed old age, I guess. Even with the weight loss, which was most definitely a sign of what caused his death, it was pretty sudden.
I came home from my dad's on Sunday, and he seemed fine. I picked him up, he leapt from my arms like a perfectly fine kitty. The next day we certainly realized that he was far from okay. I didn't go to school that day, it was too cold to walk, and I'm glad I stayed home. Later in the morning, Jade appeared near the computer where my mom was, laying on a pile of dirty laundry waiting to be washed. I remember my mother making a joke because he was just laying there, she said to him, "You dead Jade?" and laughed a little.
God, I wish she hadn't of made that joke, because honestly, he was pretty close to it.
He was scrawny, he was weak. He wouldn't move at all.. and to think he seemed fine just the evening before. He had bile on his chin, which led us to search the house and find multiple puddles of it. It wasn't normal, it was stomach acid, bright green-yellow stuff.
We had my dad come and take us to the vet later that afternoon, I held him in the car, wrapped in a sheet, on our way there. I told him everything was going to be okay.
I went with my dad to his place after dropping my mom and Jade off, to wait. Seeing my mother standing outside the building on her own, crying, upon picking her up.. it was clear what had to happen. I cried for a long time in the shower that night, and many night after that. I cried to and from school, singing lyrics from a sad song to myself. Thankfully, I had a four month old Nugget to comfort me.

It turns out, Jade had a tumor in his abdomen. And the poor guy was only half the man he thought he was, he only had 'one nut' as my mom put it, at least there was something to giggle about through the tears.

I hope you are resting in peace, Jade, and know I loved you no matter what. I still do, I'll forever miss you.��

Last edited by marie73; 02-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Jr. Cat

so sorry, fraido. that sounds rough. i am glad that you can look back at your time with jade positively, and i think it speaks to your depth of love that you still feel so much.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Premier Cat

Fraido,
I'm sorry for your loss of Jade...
Sometimes our fur friends teach us important lessons...ones which we wish, we knew "back then"...
These lessons are their gift to us, to carry forward and incorporate into the caring of a new fur friend...
Sometimes, we don't realize, until they are gone, just how much, they've taught us...
(((HUGS)))
Sharon
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423022793772.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	80850

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Jade

It was pretty rough, I spent many months crying before bed.. there wasn't really anyone I could talk to about it, as I never really shared my feelings like that. Which I think is why I grieved for so long after it happened, I had myself and my big teddy bear.
The kind words are appreciated.☺️

Oh Sharon, I never even realized how important he was, or how much I really loved him until it set in that I was never going to see him again. He has left some serious pawprints on my heart..

Last edited by marie73; 02-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Cool Cat

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Wow...I lost my Smokey just three days before you lost Jade. If you had been a member of Cat Forum back then and had posted about Jade, I'd have comforted you by saying that my Smokey had just made the journey over the Bridge and that since he was so new there, he helped Jade cross over, too.

My condolences on your loss. Even though it's been four years, there are times when I really bawl my eyes out because I miss my baby boy so much. He wasn't even two years old when we lost him.

----------
Renée
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Aweh.. I'm sure they helped each other out up there.
That's far too early to lose a kitty, I hope it hasn't been too rough without your Smokey, I bet he was a lovely boy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, I'm so sorry about Jade. We always remember them, no matter how much time has passed. It sounds like he had a long and happy life with you, and I hope you'll hold on to the good memories and the things about him that made you laugh. He does know you loved him, even if you say you were mean to him. If you have a pic that you'd like to post, we'd love to see him.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Cat Addict

Anytime I think of the passing of one of my fur friends, I cry. It is the sad part of life. Jade had a home and a family and was taken care of. Try to remember the times where you pet him or just said hi. It is never perfect because we are not perfect. RIP Jade.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I do my best to remember only the positive when I think of him, sometimes it's difficult. I go to see him on his last good day, and for that I am grateful.

If somebody could ever so kindly explain to me how to delete older photos or whatever I have to do to post more, I would gladly post a picture of Jade. Do I have to just go to older posts and delete them? Or is there somewhere on my profile I can go to? I looked lastnight, but I couldn't find any sort of option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page