My Sabrina - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My Sabrina

My Sabrina was such a beautiful and special cat. She entered my life 20 years ago and graced me with 20 years of friendship and comfort. I was only 22 years old when my now ex husband and I met Sabrina. She was living with my ex husband's brother, who was not a nice man. We found out that Sabrina had been taken from her mom cat too early...at only 4 weeks old. She was being treated very roughly and had some unspeakable things done to her. My ex husband (this is before we were even married) and I could not let this go on and we told his brother we wanted Sabrina. He was glad to be rid of her. I made a promise to that tiny grey kitten the day we took her home. I promised her that she would know only love from that day forward. Looking back, I think I did a good job of keeping that promise because that cat lived the most spoiled life imaginable. She was so terrified when she came home and did not come out from under the bed for two weeks. Little by little, she came to trust me. Over the years, my little grey kitty trusted nobody else. When I had visitors, she hid from them or sat atop the floor to ceiling cat tree bought for her. She was with me through so much...my marriage and then my divorce, several moves to different apartments, some debilitating depressive episodes, the life and death of my Italian greyhound named Tara, the death of my other cat named Ginger and the introduction of my present Italian greyhounds, Allie and Riley. Sabrina was a pro at dealing with the dogs. She could raise one paw to let them know they were overstepping boundaries but she also cuddled with them. The vet visits were difficult for this once abused kitty, so I paid a vet to come to the house for her and made the vet agree that I could hold her for shots so she would not be restrained by a stranger. She couldn't tolerate that. Sabrina was so affectionate with me and loved it when I kissed her forehead. If I laid on my back, she would walk up and bang her forehead into my lips for a kiss. When kidney failure was no longer treatable and I felt she was beginning to suffer, I made that most difficult decision and called the vet for a final housecall. Sabrina passed away peacefully last month in my arms and with Allie and Riley on either side of her. We all miss her. I will see you again at the Bridge, my love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	89018  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Cat Addict

A wonderful tribute for a wonderful friend. Sabrina's life started rough, but became one where she lived every day basking in the love she felt. Thanks for sharing. RIP beautiful girl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Cool Cat

You gave Sabrina a wonderful life. RIP sweet Sabrina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Tom Cat

So sad. crying.... I feel your loss. It is not easy to lose one of our fur babies. Sounds like she had an amazing life!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Cat Addict

It was clear that Sabrina had your love and comfort and visa versa. RIP Sabrina. Thank you for rescuing her.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Premier Cat

Deb, (((HUGS))) There are Bonds that can never be broken, you will meet Sabrina again...
Bless you for giving her The Last Great Gift of Love, that any of us can give one of our beloved furbabies...
Your Heart took on her pain, so she could finally be pain free, and Running at The Bridge now...
She'll have lots of company there, and she'll know, she no longer needs to fear anything...
Sharon
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434564390473.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	89034

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I truly believe that I will see Sabrina again because it wouldn't be heaven if my pets were not there to greet me. And yes, Sharon, that last great gift of love is excruciating to give, but it is given with heart. I have had to make the decision to end two furry lives and no decision has ever been harder. Never would I allow them to suffer though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry Deb. You clearly had a very special bond with Sabrina, who was a beautiful girl. From that tough start in life, it's amazing that she lived to be 20, but she did with your love and care. Sending you big hugs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Cat Addict

Oh such a wonderful tribute you have written. Sabrina had a much loved life after a horrible start and it sounds like she also paid this back with that wonderful and unconditional love they give. Enjoy your time at the rainbow bridge Sabrina and hugs to you DebS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Today is one year since Sabrina left the earth. I got a Facebook notification letting me know it has been a year since I posted my goodbye to her. That was so very painful to write on the day she died. Although Amelia has done wonders in terms of healing my heart, I still miss Sabrina's unique ways. She was one in a million and I hope with everything that I have that I made one thing clear to her....she was safe and loved in my care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page