Barn Kitty was put down :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Barn Kitty was put down :(

Yesterday while I was at the barn grooming my horse,the barn owner comes over to say that shes going to put her cat to sleep and that I should say bye to him before I left the barn.

So I put my horse out in his field and took a can of cat food with me to the owner's house to see the barn kitty. He was laying on the couch. The owner said the cat was in a grumpy mood and not feeling to well.

So I sat next to him and fed him some food. He perked up and ate it right away. I was able to give him some pets on the head while he ate.

This cat has been at the barn for a very long time. So hes really up there in age. Not sure the correct age. He lost a lot of weight and he had a hurt back leg. The owner said he has been hurting for a while. which made me upset. So she took him to the vet last night to be put down.

This cat greeted me every time I pulled into the driveway. He followed me to the barn and tack room. That's where I would feed him. It used to be dry food. But since he lost weight...I started to feed him canned food. He loved that a lot. I would give him a few scoops of canned food then go on with my horse. then go back to the cat and feed him more. go back to horse and then go back to cat. He was a happy kitty.

Im going to miss him soooo much. I am happy that I don't have to worry about him in the winter time now. As of last year,the cat was allowed in the owner's house in the winter time. Before that...he wasn't allowed in. So I felt bad for him. So now I don't have to worry about a cold thin cat outside.

So there are no more cats at the barn. Just Dogs/goats/and horses.

I have attached a picture of him from 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ringo1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	94202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Tom Cat

Didn't the owner feed him? I'm sure glad he had you loving him, sounds like he loved you back. I bet it's you he'll wait for at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sorry you have lost that piece of your heart. (((HUGS)))

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Cat

Oh, he looked like a beautiful kitty, I'm so glad he had you to take care of him!, I'm so very sorry for your loss
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Cool Cat

I'm so sorry for your loss Like KsKatt said, he'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

((Hugs))

Judy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Cat Addict

There's something special about some barn cats and it certainly sounds as if you had a special relationship with this one.

Maybe the owners could have done more but it seems you gave this baby both love and care.

God bless!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Cat Addict

He was a beautiful cat and I am sure he appreciated your kindness. Just yesterday mu brother and I were discussing how people get animals without considering them. It sounds like this cat did have some consideration but there can always be more.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Cool Cat

He sounds like he was a Good Cat which is all anyone can ask for. It's nice to think that last winter he was allowed indoors. And that he had someone bringing him good food.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Cat Addict

What a gorgeous cat. I'm so sorry for your loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you everyone. He was the best cat!

There were times that I wanted to bring him home...but I knew I couldn't.

I will miss him.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Premier Cat

So glad you were able to say goodbye to this friend. We had a barn cat at our shelter but she would eat horse poop and just about anything else. She got so sick they decided to put her down and we were quite upset that more care wasn't taken.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page