My Katerina - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

My Katerina

It has been a while since I last posted on the cat forums. I am here today, because my beloved Katerina, 3 1/2 years old, died today from FIP. We only discovered on Monday, that she had wet FIP with fluid in both her chest and abdomen. It was causing her problems breathing and even removing fluid from her chest was not enough to make her comfortable. We couldn't justify trying to make her comfortable through steroids, because the stress of giving it to her, was more than I could justify just to keep her alive for such a short period. Knowing there is no cure, no effective preventative is heart breaking. My heart is broken, she was so young. My hope had been that I would outlive her and Ivan, but I didn't expect this.

She had me well trained. She also had Ivan well trained, as she was dominant. All food was her food until she gave him permission to eat. I think he knew she was sick from the way he would go over and smell her these last few days while she laid there laboring to breath. I think he still expects her to come home, because he waited to touch his lunch and carried a bit of it away to eat it elsewhere. A tactic he developed to grab some food before she could push him away from the bowl.

I truly don't know how we will get along without her. I am just devastated.

Mylita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Cool Cat

Much sympathy. That's a horrible thing to have to do, but the alternative is worse. And so young, seems totally unfair. It will take a while for Ivan to readjust, but he likely will. Take your time, mourn Katerina as long as you need. Ivan may mourn too, which is a sad thing to watch.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry, Mylita. She was a beautiful cat, gone far too soon. She knew she was loved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Cool Cat

Mylita, I am so sorry. I know the sorrow that you are feeling and you have my deepest sympathy. FIP is such a horrible disease
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you all. Ivan is indeed mourning her. This is so unfair, but there is nothing we could have done. FIP is terrible and my suspicion is that her immune system was already compromised by her allergies which were being treated with twice weekly desensitization shots for the last 2.5 years.

The sad thing I have to say is that our two purebred babies have cost us more in vet bills in their 3.5 years in our home, then all our other cats combined. Not that I regret buying them, they have been wonderful pets. Even in this sadness, I would get them again in an instant.

But mourning is painful, I miss her so much.

Mylita
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Cat Addict

I am very sorry for your loss. Katarina had you to love her and take care of her.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:21 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry Mylita. Hugs to you and head scratches to Ivan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page