Time to say Goodbye - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Time to say Goodbye

We fought for close to a year but the last week my boy Dizzy has taken a turn for the worse. After dealing with Hyperthyroidism he is succumbing to a form of liver disease, Cholangiohepatitis. The vomiting has made him so weak and now he will not eat solids. His gait is unsteady and he has a hunched back. His eyes are listless. Because he knows how sick he is he won't sleep next to me because he doesn't want to vomit on the bed. He just lays by the water bowl. I won't put him on a feeding tube and IV because I don't have the means financially and it is just prolonging the disease's progression. As it is Saturday and the vet closes at noon I called and told them I will be in by 11:30. Hopefully the office will be cleared and we can go right in, that's the plan anyway.

He has taught me SO MUCH. I had a tough upbringing and after many years of pushing people away for fear of being hurt he came into my life and showed me not only how to love but how to ACCEPT love. He has also taught me the true meaning of commitment, especially in the last year. I want to be selfish and 'hope against hope' that he will rally once again but I know that isn't in his best interest. I would have to travel 45 minutes and spend money I don't have if he suddenly went way downhill on Sunday. I will be pre-emptive based on what others have wrote. I believe, even though it hurts like and I'm crying as I write this that I would rather be a day early than a day late. I have to love him that much. This has to be all about easing his obvious misery. He's giving me 'that look' and asking me to help him. This is the best I can do.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences on these boards, it gives me the strength and hope I am doing the right thing. We had a great run, me and my boy. Almost 14 years but I always wanted it to be Forever & A Day. He's taking a piece of my heart with him so when we meet at the Bridge he can put it back. This is, without a doubt the worst day of my life and that is saying a lot...but if the choice is working through this or never having the joy of being owned by him I will take this gladly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_125846.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	118161  

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Cat

I am so sorry to read this, DizzysDad

Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29/08/2014 - 17/10/2014)
Ebony (01/01/2014 - 2nd March 201
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tigger (31/10/14 - current) <3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you. The people at the vet's did an outstanding job. They had FOUR euthanizations today and I asked to be last. My boy fell asleep in my arms and went peacefully.

Now begins the grief process. My only consolation is knowing I didn't wait too long.

It's a lonely room where I am now.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Cool Cat

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for taking such great care of your kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry DizzysDad. I have not had to make this decision with two previous kitties, but it's clear you made the right choice at the right time. I hope you never second-guess yourself about either. It had everything to do about the quality of his life.

He has shaped the person you have become and will always be a part of who you are in the future. Sendings many hugs and much sympathy.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

You're so right about that spirite. His friendship and trust in me made me a better person.

And now I know he'll be there for me when my time comes. And then we get Forever & A Day.
Attached Images

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Premier Cat

What a beautiful boy! Yes, so very hard to make that final decision, but I agree that you did it at the right time....and he told you he had had enough of this life. The grieving part is tough that's for sure and leaves a hole in your heart, but hope you will again give another kitty a chance for a welcoming home who wants to be yours.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks ami

I'll be owned again some day. Until then I plan on volunteering my time at the local shelter to honor him and also so I can have animals in my life.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Cool Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. Dizzy was such a beautiful boy. You made the hardest decision, at the right time, and you kept him from suffering. He will always be with you.
Hugs to you.

Judy

Chino & Shadow
Misty, Tiger & Echo forever in my heart

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

People who know me here know that I want an orange boy some day so badly, so this makes me especially sad. But you did the same thing I did, I refused to force feed my Cinderella, because it would just be prolonging the inevitable for me. Her passing was also peaceful, but still heartbreaking. I'd like to think that Cinderella is showing Dizzy around (and possibly flirting with him a bit).

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page